The reality of photons (real vs virtual etc)

In summary: Yes, those bright flashes are indeed the impacts of high frequency photons (gamma rays) on the camera film. This is one way we can "see" photons, by their interactions with other matter. However, for low frequency photons such as radio waves or visible light, we use different methods to detect their presence, such as antennas or our own eyes. So while we may not be able to "see" photons directly, we can observe their effects and interactions, providing evidence for their existence.
girts
I mean there is this division between virtual (in static situations) and real photons as the quanta of the EM field, but aren't all photons essentially "virtual" in the sense that they are purely made up by us in order to explain why we see discrete impacts of specific energy for a given EM field on a given target etc?

What I want to ask by this is that for the elementary particles like electrons and protons/neutrons we can "see" them in more ways (cloud chambers etc) than we can see photons and for photons I assume we really don't have any real mechanism to "see" their existence at all apart from noticing the changes that happen when certain energy/frequency EM field is present within an area?PS. I do realize virtual photons are just an expression to describe situation of a static EM field versus normal photons that describe a dynamic EM field which can transfer energy.Would it be fair to say that excluding the fact that it is all around us and we have learned the working principle of the EM field, it's basics or whatever makes it up in the first place is just as much of a mystery to us as dark matter or dark energy?
Yet we don't say "dark EM field" but we say dark matter, but we do know some things about dark matter don't we? So in a sense we also know some things about the EM field and some others we simply can't know, where is the line between calling something solved and calling something "dark" given the fact that in physics many times certain aspects work the way they do without us having a real physical way of understanding the reasons behind that?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi girts,
girts said:
Would it be fair to say that excluding the fact that it is all around us and we have learned the working principle of the EM field, it's basics or whatever makes it up in the first place is just as much of a mystery to us as dark matter or dark energy?
I'd say a definite no to that. Dark matter and dark energy are currently far more mysterious concepts than the EM field.
girts said:
it's basics or whatever makes it up in the first place is just as much of a mystery to us
To our current knowledge the EM field is one of the fundamental fields, that is, it is not made up of anything else.
girts said:
but we do know some things about dark matter don't we?
Not much that is certain. We think dark matter may exist, so we are looking for it.
girts said:
where is the line between calling something solved and calling something "dark" [...]
There is no fine line, "dark" is just a word.
girts said:
[...] given the fact that in physics many times certain aspects work the way they do without us having a real physical way of understanding the reasons behind that?
Physics is not about reasons. Physics is about models that can make predictions.

girts said:
aren't all photons essentially "virtual" in the sense that they are purely made up by us in order to explain why we see discrete impacts of specific energy for a given EM field on a given target etc?
No, that is only real photons. Virtual photons are not for that.

girts said:
Would it be fair to say that excluding the fact that it is all around us and we have learned the working principle of the EM field, it's basics or whatever makes it up in the first place is just as much of a mystery to us as dark matter or dark energy?
Not even remotely fair. Our current understanding of EM is complete within the modern domain of experimental inquiry. There is no know EM phenomenon or observation that we cannot predict or explain quantitatively with our current models. Thus, we understand EM completely in this domain.

girts said:
What I want to ask by this is that for the elementary particles like electrons and protons/neutrons we can "see" them in more ways (cloud chambers etc) than we can see photons and for photons I assume we really don't have any real mechanism to "see" their existence at all apart from noticing the changes that happen when certain energy/frequency EM field is present within an area?
How could we "see" neutrons in a cloud chamber? They're not charged.

In fact, photons are easier to "see" than many other particles whose reality you happily accept - photographic film records their impact quite nicely.

Likes Dale
Seeing photons do you mean high frequency ones like gamma radiation destroying a film like those in the early live recordings from the Chernobyl nuclear reactor explosion back in 1986?

I do remember seeing those bright little flashes on the video which i assume are gamma impacts right?

girts said:
Seeing photons do you mean high frequency ones like gamma radiation destroying a film like those in the early live recordings from the Chernobyl nuclear reactor explosion back in 1986?

well that and I suspect @Nugatory was referring to normal photographic film that capture photons quite well

1. What is the difference between real and virtual photons?

Real photons are particles of light that can be observed and measured, while virtual photons are particles that only exist briefly as part of a quantum interaction between other particles. Real photons have energy, momentum, and can be detected, while virtual photons do not have these properties.

2. How do photons affect our perception of reality?

Photons are the fundamental particles of light, and they play a crucial role in our perception of reality. They are responsible for allowing us to see and perceive the world around us. Without photons, we would not be able to see anything, and our reality would be completely different.

3. Can photons be created or destroyed?

Photons cannot be created or destroyed, but they can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a photon is absorbed by an atom, it can cause the atom to release another photon of the same energy. However, the total number of photons in the universe remains constant.

4. How are virtual photons used in quantum mechanics?

Virtual photons are used in quantum mechanics to describe the interactions between particles. They are considered to be carriers of the electromagnetic force, and their exchange between particles plays a crucial role in the fundamental forces of nature.

5. Are photons affected by gravity?

Yes, photons are affected by gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the result of the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. Photons, being massless particles, follow the curvature of space-time and can be affected by the gravitational pull of massive objects such as stars and black holes.