Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Front end of an engineering design

  1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knows (and could tell me) how to put together a front end engineering design. I've been asked to create one, have no idea what it is and so far google has been no help!

  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    The term "front end" can mean a computer program for controlling a device. But there could be more meanings and a better explanation. I hope you were given more direction than just that...
  4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    Thank you Russ, I have been looking into how a particular machine works, and been asked to compile my findings into a front end engineering design report. I was initially thinking that 'front end' was just a non-standard reporting style, but perhaps i was wrong. Could i be being asked to put together a report on how to design a program to run the machine? Unfortunately i can't get official clarification for at least a week and i would like to have started, well... yesterday. Any further insights?
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I have no idea about what they want, either. My (totally non-professional) approach would be to start gathering as much information as possible that is relevant to the project and make notes. Organize whatever you come up with in a manner that makes sense to you. That way, you have a head-start when you finally get confirmation of what the goal is.
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I have never heard the term used in anything other than software packages , like Russ mentioned. However, after reading what you just wrote, it sounds to me like they just want a report on the overall workings of the machine. Perhaps the "front end" here is referring to the top level of the assembly and how it is interfaced with.
  7. Mar 26, 2008 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    A "front end design" is a high-level design of a product; more usually of a system. Depending on the brief, it may show the layout of a processing plant, the key operating mechanisms of a machine, or a packaging layout of a consumer product.

    While it may prove such issues as feasibility, scale, dimension, concept, cost etc, it doesn't get involved with the 'nuts and bolts' of the product, any in-depth calculations (other than to prove the basic premise), or detail of individual components/subsystems.

    So you might have have a front end design of an overall product, then perhaps system schemes, then assembly drawings, then detailed component drawings.

    It must be a British term!
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  8. Mar 26, 2008 #7
    Thank you everyone, helpful as can be :D
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook