Fuel Cell Electrons: Anion Movement, Protons, and DC

In summary: It's like putting a penny in a glass of water. If you tilt the glass, the penny will stay in the water because the surface tension is greater than the weight of the penny. But if you drop the penny in, it will go all the way to the bottom because the surface tension isn't as strong and the penny will start to sink. In summary, an electron goes around the membrane to get to the protons on the other side. It does this by supplying DC current.
Nim
From what I understand about fuel cells, they generate power by influencing electrons to move themselves around an ion-conducting material to get to the other side. While the electrons make there way from one side to the other, they supply DC in the middle of there journey. But I am not quite sure why they are going to the other side.

Exactly how far does the electron actually stray away from the protons on the other side to get to them (that's what they are going for right)? Why do they leave the positive side (anode) to get to the negative side (cathode)? I know that they are attracted to protons, but the protons are farther away from them than the anode is and they are on the cathode side which should be repeling them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a proton-exchange membrane fuel cell, protons go right through the membrane from one side to the other. The electrons cannot pass the membrane (it's semipermeable), and, in order to reunite with the protons, must go around the electrical circuit.

- Warren

Chroot,

There doesn't seem to be anything attracting the protons across the membrane to the cathode. Is it just entropy?

It's just a diffusion situation. There are no hydrogen ions on one side of the membrane, but many on the other. The hydrogen ions thus diffuse across the (quite permeable) membrane.

Proton-exchange membrane fuel cells are made using an organic membrane, like polyfluorosulfonic acid. The hyrogen ions on the acid groups are essentially free. Just like the free electrons in an electrical conductor allow electrons to move from one place to another, the free protons in the membrane allows protons to move easily from one place to another.

Here's a good page:

http://www.dodfuelcell.com/proton.html

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Chroot said:
In a proton-exchange membrane fuel cell, protons go right through the membrane from one side to the other. The electrons cannot pass the membrane (it's semipermeable), and, in order to reunite with the protons, must go around the electrical circuit.

That's the part I understand. The part that I don't understand is why they would bother going around the membrane just to reach the protons when there is an anode right there infront of them. Plus the protons are on the negative side. I don't know how far they have to travel to get to the other side, but they are supposed to supply DC current. It's hard to imagine an electron going far out of its way to get to a proton, especially when it has to move farther away before it can start moving closer.

Chroot said:
There are no hydrogen ions on one side of the membrane, but many on the other.

What happens to all of the excess electrons then? Are not all of the electrons recombining with the hydrogen ions on the other side?

The membrane is about as thick as saran wrap. The electrons do indeed recombine with the protons on the other side.

- Warren

Yeah, I know that.

Nim,

I'm not sure what you don't understand. The protons go through the membrane simply because of diffusion; the electrons cannot follow. They go through the circuit to come back and reunite with the protons. That's the whole story.

- Warren

Nim said: "It's hard to imagine an electron going far out of its way to get to a proton, especially when it has to move farther away before it can start moving closer."

The same thing happens when you discharge a capacitor.

Fields in conductors are complicated, but the results they give are easy. If the net charge in a conductor is zero, the charge density at any point is zero. The electrons do whatever's needed to make that happen.

Edit: But the idea that a single electron goes all the way around to the other side is misleading. The whole sea of electrons in the conductor moves a tiny bit in that direction, and that's enough to neutralize a proton in the cathode.

Last edited:

What is a fuel cell?

A fuel cell is a device that converts chemical energy directly into electrical energy by combining a fuel (such as hydrogen) and an oxidant (such as oxygen) through electrochemical reactions.

How do electrons move in a fuel cell?

In a fuel cell, electrons are released from the fuel and move through an external circuit, providing electrical energy. The electrons then combine with the oxidant on the other side of the cell to form the waste product, water.

What is an anion?

An anion is a negatively charged ion, meaning it has gained one or more electrons. In a fuel cell, anions are typically involved in the movement of the electrolyte, which helps to facilitate the electrochemical reactions.

What are protons and how are they involved in a fuel cell?

Protons are positively charged particles found in the nucleus of an atom. In a fuel cell, protons are involved in the process of electrolysis, where they are transported through the electrolyte membrane to the other side of the cell to combine with electrons and form water.

How does DC power relate to fuel cells?

DC (direct current) power is produced by fuel cells as a result of the flow of electrons through an external circuit. This allows the electrical energy generated by the fuel cell to be used to power various devices and technologies.