1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full Basis of Angular Momentum Eigenstates

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the case of an atom with two unpaired electrons, both of which are in s-orbitals. Write the full basis of angular momentum eigenstates representing the coupled and uncoupled representations

2. Relevant equations
    l=r×p
    lx=ypz-zpy
    ly=zpx-xpz
    lz=xpy-ypx

l+=lx+ily
    l-=lx-ily

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to start. If I am correct I already wrote a complete basis for l.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the problem statement says that the electrons are in "s-orbitals". That means that the orbital angular momentum is zero. So the only relevant angular momentum is spin angular momentum, I would think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted