1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full Motion Antenna motors designing problem

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    Dear All

I want to design a Full motion Antenna. But I want to start from the scratch.

Suppose I have a 1m parabolic Antenna and I want to install two motors (Elevation and Azimuth)

The motors should be DC. And I want to know how to calculate all the parameters required to move the antenna. For example how much power it would require, how much torque, how many output volts.

Lets say the Antenna would be used as a VSAT installed on a vehicle.
    Kindly help me in getting started.
    Thanks and Best regards

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is your background? Have you had mechanical/physics classes in statics and dynamics? What kind of motors and motor controls have you worked with so far? What resolution and accuracy specs do you think you have for this project?

4. Aug 22, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

I am a satellite engineer basically but I do have some mechanical background. And this is my first time to work on motors. Initially I can keep a accuracy of about +/- 1 degrees.

I just want to know how can i theoretically design a motor for the required movement of the antenna.

Thanks and Best Regards
    Hamza

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook