Full Motion Antenna motors designing problem

In summary, the conversation is about designing a Full motion Antenna from scratch. The individual is seeking guidance on how to calculate the necessary parameters for the motors needed for the antenna's movement, such as power, torque, and output volts. They also mention that the antenna will be used as a VSAT installed on a vehicle with an initial accuracy of +/- 1 degrees. The individual has a background in satellite engineering and some mechanical knowledge but is new to working with motors. They are looking for theoretical guidance on designing the motor for the antenna's movement.
hamzaaaa
Dear All

I want to design a Full motion Antenna. But I want to start from the scratch.

Suppose I have a 1m parabolic Antenna and I want to install two motors (Elevation and Azimuth)

The motors should be DC. And I want to know how to calculate all the parameters required to move the antenna. For example how much power it would require, how much torque, how many output volts.

Lets say the Antenna would be used as a VSAT installed on a vehicle.
Kindly help me in getting started.
Thanks and Best regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
hamzaaaa said:
Dear All

I want to design a Full motion Antenna. But I want to start from the scratch.

Suppose I have a 1m parabolic Antenna and I want to install two motors (Elevation and Azimuth)

The motors should be DC. And I want to know how to calculate all the parameters required to move the antenna. For example how much power it would require, how much torque, how many output volts.

Lets say the Antenna would be used as a VSAT installed on a vehicle.
Kindly help me in getting started.
Thanks and Best regards

What is your background? Have you had mechanical/physics classes in statics and dynamics? What kind of motors and motor controls have you worked with so far? What resolution and accuracy specs do you think you have for this project?

Thanks for your reply.

I am a satellite engineer basically but I do have some mechanical background. And this is my first time to work on motors. Initially I can keep a accuracy of about +/- 1 degrees.

I just want to know how can i theoretically design a motor for the required movement of the antenna.

Thanks and Best Regards
Hamza

1. What is a Full Motion Antenna motor?

A Full Motion Antenna motor is a type of motor that is used in satellite dishes to control the movement and positioning of the antenna. It allows the antenna to track and receive signals from different satellites or to adjust its position for better reception.

2. What is the purpose of designing a Full Motion Antenna motor?

The main purpose of designing a Full Motion Antenna motor is to ensure that the motor is able to accurately and efficiently move the antenna in all directions. This is important for optimal signal reception and tracking of different satellites.

3. What are the key factors to consider in designing a Full Motion Antenna motor?

Some key factors to consider in designing a Full Motion Antenna motor include the torque and speed requirements, motor size and weight, power efficiency, and durability. Other considerations may include the type of control system, environmental conditions, and cost.

4. What are some common challenges in designing Full Motion Antenna motors?

Some common challenges in designing Full Motion Antenna motors include achieving the necessary torque and speed requirements within the size and weight constraints, minimizing power consumption, and ensuring reliable and accurate movements in different environmental conditions.

5. What are some potential solutions to overcome these challenges in Full Motion Antenna motor design?

To overcome these challenges, engineers may use advanced motor control algorithms, utilize lightweight and high-strength materials, incorporate sensors for feedback control, and conduct extensive testing and simulations to optimize the design. Collaborating with experts in motor design and satellite technology can also help in finding effective solutions.