Free online antenna design software?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a software called NEC for designing antennas, specifically yagi antennas. The accuracy of the software is questioned, but the user has found it to be accurate based on their own measurements. They also mention using a Yagi site for reference and successfully building an antenna using the dimensions provided. The conversation also mentions other versions of the software and a link to a forum thread for further discussion.
houlahound
I use this for my backyard hobby (amateur) design work;

upload_2016-4-8_15-44-3.png
don't know how valid it is but has always seemed to be accurate.

does anyone know if similar downloads for designing other antenna types beside yagi's. just want to have some fun, no specific application.

Engineering news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
don't know how valid it is but has always seemed to be accurate.

have you actually built an antenna from the design to prove its accuracy ?

yeah I posted the results in a previous thread some time ago. can not say the values are verified to any calibrated standard. but I convinced myself by measuring relative gain the software is at least good - very good. the infrastructure for a calibrated test would be off the charts I would guess.

houlahound said:
but I convinced myself by measuring relative gain
How did you measure that? What was your setup?

NEC and its variants are popular. There are free versions such as 4nec2, and some easier-to-use versions that come at a small cost ($99 for EZNEC).

houlahound said:
I use this for my backyard hobby (amateur) design work;

Link didnt work for me.

I used this Yagi site
http://www.k7mem.com/Electronic_Notebook/antennas/yagi_vhf.html
very easy to use
and i built an antenna using his dimensions as shown in this thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-i-parallel-yagis.806936/

1. What is free online antenna design software?

Free online antenna design software is a computer program that allows users to design and simulate different types of antennas, such as dipole, Yagi, and patch antennas, for various applications. It helps engineers and hobbyists to quickly and accurately design antennas without the need for expensive equipment or specialized training.

2. How does free online antenna design software work?

Most free online antenna design software uses numerical methods, such as the method of moments or finite element method, to simulate the behavior of antennas. Users can input parameters such as antenna type, frequency, and dimensions to generate a 3D model of the antenna and analyze its performance. Some software also allows for customization of antenna materials, feed point locations, and other design factors.

3. Is free online antenna design software accurate?

While free online antenna design software may not be as accurate as professional software, it can still provide reliable results if used correctly. The accuracy of the software depends on the complexity of the antenna design and the accuracy of the input parameters. It is always recommended to verify the results with physical measurements or more advanced software if possible.

4. Can free online antenna design software be used for commercial applications?

It depends on the specific software and its terms of use. Some free online antenna design software may have limitations on commercial use, while others may be completely free for any purpose. It is important to read the terms and conditions of the software before using it for commercial applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using free online antenna design software?

One limitation of free online antenna design software is the lack of technical support and updates compared to professional software. Additionally, some software may have limited features or may not be suitable for advanced antenna designs. It is important to research and compare different software options to find the best fit for your specific needs.