1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full solution for the simple pendulum

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    Having recently completed a session on the simple pendulum in physics, I was curious as to what the solution to θ''+(g/l)sin(θ)=0 for θ(t) was sans the sin(θ)=θ simplification.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2014 #2
    What have you done to satisfy your curiosity?

4. Sep 14, 2014 #3
    Elliptic integral is the key word.

5. Sep 14, 2014 #4
    voko, prior to posting I had essentially spent about an hour or so looking through various articles, lecture notes,et c., and hadn't run into anything involving a full solution of that ODE. I did check Wolfram Alpha which pointed me in the direction of the Jacobi elliptic functions, however that did not readily lend itself to understanding the derivation, or finding a numerical solution. I looked under functions.wolfram.com for the Jacobi Amplitude function, and wasn't able to find what I was looking for

6. Sep 14, 2014 #5
    The full solution of that ODE is not expressible in elementary functions. Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Sep 15, 2014 #6
    θ''+(g/l)sin(θ)=0
    Multiply [tex]\theta^.[/tex] to make [tex]{{\theta^.}^2}^. [/tex], integrate and then take square root to get [tex]\frac{dt}{d\theta}[/tex]

8. Sep 15, 2014 #7
    Or just start with conservation of energy and get the first-order ODE directly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook