Fun Car Physics Problem. I swear it's wicked fun

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amount of work required to accelerate a 2000 kg car from 9.2 m/s to 17.5 m/s in 3.08 seconds. The formula for work and energy are given, and it is determined that the simplest formula for work is the change in energy. The conversation also mentions that the 3.08 seconds is not necessary for finding work, but is relevant for finding power.
Iamaskier721
You are traveling in your 2000 kg car at 9.2 m/s and wish to accelerate to 17.5 m/s in 3.08 seconds, how much work, to the nearest joule, is required?

Okay so i don't even know hwo t ostart this problem. I know I need to find the
initial amount of work being done by the car and then subtract it from the end amount of work. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Give the formula for work and the formula for energy and it should be obvious.

Well the formula for work is obviously Force times Displacement and the formula for energy is 1/2 mass times the velocity squared. Do I just find the difference in their enery?

Yes, the 3.08 seconds is unnecessary because we are interested in work and not power. The simplest formula for work is, [tex] W = \Delta E [/tex], i.e. change in energy.

Ah I finally got it! Thankyou all! The 3.08 seconds was just relevant to the next question which was find the power in watts and that is just work divided by time. Thanks again!

1. What is a fun car physics problem?

A fun car physics problem is a question or puzzle related to the principles of physics as they apply to cars and their movement. These problems often involve real-life scenarios and challenges that require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Why is solving car physics problems considered fun?

Solving car physics problems can be considered fun because it allows individuals to apply their knowledge of physics in a practical and engaging way. It also challenges them to think critically and creatively to find solutions to complex problems.

3. What skills are required to solve a fun car physics problem?

Solving fun car physics problems requires a strong understanding of fundamental physics concepts, such as Newton's laws of motion and principles of energy and momentum. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills.

4. Are car physics problems only for experts in physics?

No, car physics problems can be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in physics, cars, or problem-solving. While a basic understanding of physics principles may be helpful, these problems are designed to be accessible and enjoyable for a wide range of individuals.

5. Can solving fun car physics problems have real-world applications?

Yes, solving fun car physics problems can have real-world applications. For example, understanding the principles of motion and energy can help individuals make informed decisions when driving a car, such as how to brake or turn safely. Additionally, these problems can also inspire individuals to pursue careers in fields related to physics and engineering.