1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Function? Correspondence? Neither?

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following mathematical items. For each item, (1) indicate whether it has a natural interpretation as a function, a correspondence, or neither. If the item is a function or a correspondence, the indicate (2) its domain and range and (3) whether it is (a) real, (b) single-valued and (c) univariate.
    If the item is not a function, or is not real, single-valued or univariate, then justify your answer briefly.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. (1,1), (2,2), (3,3) is a function. Domain (1,2, 3), Range (1,2, 3) Single-valued?

2. (1,1), (2,2), (1,3) is NOT a fuction. Domain (1,2), Range (1,2, 3) Single-valued

3. (1,1), (2,1), (3,1) is a function. Domain (1,2, 3), Range (1) Single-valued

4. (1,1), (2,(3,1)), (3,1) is a function. Domain (1,2, 3), Range (1, 3)-is it correct? Univariate

5) ((1,1),2), ((2,1),3), ((2,1),4) is NOT a function. Domain (?), Range (2,3,4) Univariate

Any mistakes?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For number 4, what is f(2) supposed to be?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    Our teacher jumped into the material and barely covered it. So I still don't understand what (2,(3,1)) means.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok. We are representing a function as a set of ordered pairs. The first entry is going to be x, and the second entry is going to be f(x).

So for number 1, f(1)=1 since (1, 1) is in the set, f(2)=2 since (2,2) is in the set, f(3)=3 since (3,3) is in the set.

For number 3, f(1)=1 since (1,1) is in the set; f(2)=1 since (2,1) is in the set and f(3)=1 since (3,1) is in the set

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    Oh, this part, I understand.
    The one I am talking about (2,(3,1)) is correspondence, when one or more elements of domain are mapped to more than one element from the range. Typically, what is a range of this example?

I am also struggling with whether it is (a) real, (b) single-valued and (c) univariate.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook