1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional equation f(x)=f(x^2)

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    Hello everybody
    I'm given a continuous function f (from the real numbers to the real numbers) which I know obeys the following functional equation:
    [tex] f(x)=f(x^{2})[/tex]
    How can I proof that this function is constant?
    I started out like this: Looking at a number x in [tex][0,1[[/tex] I said to myself that:
    [tex]f(x)=f(x^{2})=f(x^{4})=f(x^{16})=...\rightarrow f(0).[/tex].
    As this relation holds for all x in [0,1[ (looking at [tex]x^{2^{n}} (n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]), it should be true that f(x)=f(-x)=f(0) (the minus because of symmetry, the square). I can also conclude that f(0)=f(1), for f is continuous. But how do I proceed? I would like to show that this function is constant for all x in the real numbers?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x is a positive real, you also have [tex]f(x)=f(\sqrt{x})[/tex]. Use this for x>1.
  4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    Oh my gosh, I should have gotten that one on my own.
    Now it seems clear. Thanks alot, shmoe.
    Best regards
  5. Jan 15, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

If [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/tex] is a continuous function such that [tex] f(x)=f(x^{2}),\forall x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex], then

i. f is an even function since [tex] f(x)=f(x^{2})\Rightarrow f(-x)=f((-x)^{2})=f(x^{2})=f(x)[/tex]

ii. [tex] f(x)=f(x^{2^{n}}),\forall n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex] which can be proved inductively, or simply reasoned much as you have above:

for positive integer n,

[tex]f(x)=f(x^{2})=f(x^{4})=f(x^{16})=\cdots =f(x^{2^{n}})[/tex]

and for negative integer n=-k,

[tex]f(x)=f(\sqrt{x})=f(\sqrt{\sqrt{x}})=f(\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{x}}})=\cdots =f(x^{2^{-k}})[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?