1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental standing wave in Closed tube

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You blow across the open mouth of an empty test tube and produce the fundamental standing wave of the air column inside the test tube. The speed of sound in air is 344 m/s and the test tube acts as a stopped pipe.

If the length of the air column in the test tube is 14.0 cm, what is the frequency of this standing wave?

L = 0.14m
    V = 344 m/s
    Closed Tube

2. Relevant equations

Closed Tube Frequency = Fn = nVair / 4L

3. The attempt at a solution

F1 = 1*344 / 4*0.14 = 614khz

I thought this was the right answer, but the online program says it's incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2007 #2
    i got the same answer.

That's the standing wave...perhaps it's asking for a resonance frequency? Seeing that it's an online program...maybe it wants more SIG FIGS?

4. Jan 19, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it really KHz?

5. Jan 19, 2007 #4
    Well the online program already had the units ready, which was khz. Should there be a conversion?

6. Jan 19, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The calculation you have done gives an answer in Hz and if the online thing wants it in KHz the yes you will have to convert from Hz to KHz

7. Jan 19, 2007 #6
    Thanks Kurdt, that seemed to work. I hate the units in some of these problems, guess I should pay attention as well.

8. Jan 19, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes units are very important. They've probably done that to make you think about them. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?