Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Proof

In summary, the conversation is about a question asking to show that for a nonconstant polynomial P(z), the inequality |P(z)| > |P(0)| holds outside some disk R |z| ≤ R for some R > 0. It is also mentioned that if the minimum value of |P(z)| for R z ≤ |R| occurs at z_o, then z=z_o gives the minimum value of |P(z)| with respect to the whole complex plane. The individual is struggling with understanding the concepts of a "disk," "outside of a disk," and what it means for an inequality to hold.
riskybeats
Hello, trying to figure out exactly what is going on in this question.

Homework Statement

(a) If P(z) is a nonconstant polynomial, show that |P(z)| > |P(0)| holds outside
some disk R |z| ≤ R for some R > 0. Conclude that if the minimum value of |P(z)| for R
z ≤ |R| occurs at z_o, then z=z_o gives the minimum value of |P(z)| with respect to the whole complex plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P(z) = a0+a1*z1+a2*z^2+...+an*zn^n
|P(z)| = |a0+a1*z1+a2*z^2+...+an*zn^n|
|P(z)| = |Z**n||a0*z^-n+a1*z1^1-n+a2*z^2-n+...+an|

I know that I have to show that P(z) grows faster than P(0) for it to hold outside the disk. But I am not sure what that even means for an inequality to hold outside of a disk. I really don't know what it is asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
But I am not sure what that even means for an inequality to hold outside of a disk.
Well, where, exactly, is your difficulty? Do you know what a "disk" is? Do you know what is meant by "outside of a disk"? Do you know what it means for "an inequality to hold"?

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that every polynomial of degree greater than 1 has at least one complex root. In other words, every polynomial can be factored into linear and quadratic terms, where the quadratic terms may have complex roots.

2. Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra important?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra is important because it proves that every polynomial equation has a solution, even if that solution is a complex number. This is crucial in many fields of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How was the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra first proven?

The first known proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra was given by Carl Friedrich Gauss in 1799. However, his proof was not completely rigorous and was later refined by mathematicians like Cauchy, Riemann, and Weierstrass.

4. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra be extended to polynomials with real coefficients?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra can be extended to polynomials with real coefficients. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra for Real Numbers and states that every polynomial with real coefficients can be factored into linear and quadratic terms, where the quadratic terms may have real or complex roots.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

No, there are no exceptions to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. It holds true for all polynomials of degree greater than 1, regardless of the coefficients or the form of the polynomial. However, it does not apply to equations that are not polynomials, such as exponential or trigonometric equations.