1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamentals of Complex Analysis With Applications to Engineering and Science

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Text: Fundamentals of Complex Analysis With Applications to Engineering and Science by E.B. Saff and A.D. Snider

I only ordered my textbook last week (yeah... I know), so I don't think it will get to me before my homework is due. Would some kind soul with this book please post these questions? I would be very appreciative.

1.2. #5, 6, 7, 13, 16

Please do not help me with these questions; I prefer to work entirely on my own.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    I'll find the 3rd edition in my campus library tomorrow.

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    5. Show that the points 1, [tex]-\frac{1}{2} + i \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex] and [tex]-\frac{1}{2} - i \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex] are the vertices of an equilateral triangle.

6. Show that the points 3 + i, 6 and 4 + 4i are the vertices of a right triangle.

7. Describe the set of points z in the complex plane that satisfy each of the following:
    a) Im z = -2
    b) |z - 1 + i| = 3
    c) |2z - i| = 4
    d) |z - 1| = |z + i|
    e) |z| = Re z + 2
    f) |z - 1| + |z + 1| = 7
    g) |z| = 3|z - 1|
    h) Re z [tex]\ge[/tex] 4
    i) |z - i| < 2
    j) |z| > 6

13) Prove that if [tex](\overline{z})^2 = z^2[/tex], then z is either real or purely imaginary.

16) Prove that if |z| = 1 (z [tex]\ne[/tex] 1), then Re[1/(1 - z)] = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex].

Good luck on your RfA (I won't vote).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?