How Can I Use Complex Variables to Solve for Arm Positions in a Linked System?

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to learn complex analysis on their own using the textbook Fundamentals of Complex Analysis by Saff and Snider. They are stuck on a question in section 1.3, which involves using complex variables to express the angular position, velocity, and acceleration of arm c in terms of arm a. The person has attempted a solution by using the complex variables Za, Zb, and Zc, but is unsure of how to proceed due to not knowing what Zb is in terms of Za. They plan to repost the question in the correct section for help.
skilambi
Hi All,

I am trying to learn complex analysis on my own and for this I have chosen Fundamentals of Complex Analysis by Saff and Snider. I am stuck at the last question in section 1.3 which is as follows.

For the linkage illustrated in the figure, use complex variables to outline a scheme for expressing the angular position, velocity and acceleration of arm c in terms of those of arm a.

As an attempt to the solution, this is what I have thought of so far.

Let the arm a be dictated by the complex variable Za, similarly Zb for b and Zc for c. Also since the distance between the bottom of a and c is fixed (a + b - c), we can say

Za + Zb = Zc + (a+b-c). (Parallelogram law)

However I am not sure of what comes next as I am not sure what Zb is. How can i proceed? To express Zc with respect to Za, I will somehow need to know what Zb is in terms of Za. But how do I do that?

SMK.

Attachments

• problem30.jpg
    problem30.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Will post this in homework section as it is a textbook style question for independent study.

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and functions. It involves analyzing the properties and behavior of functions that are defined on the complex plane, which consists of both real and imaginary numbers. It is an important area of mathematics that has applications in many fields, including physics and engineering.

2. What are some key concepts in Complex Analysis?

Some key concepts in Complex Analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integration, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary part, and they are represented as a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Analytic functions are functions that can be represented by a convergent power series and have a derivative at every point in their domain. Contour integration is a method for evaluating integrals along a path in the complex plane, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of conditions that must be satisfied for a function to be analytic.

3. Why is Complex Analysis important?

Complex Analysis is important because it provides powerful tools for solving problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to study functions that are not defined on the real line, and it provides a deeper understanding of complex numbers and their properties. It also has applications in areas such as fluid dynamics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.

4. How is Complex Analysis used in real-world applications?

Complex Analysis is used in a wide range of real-world applications. In physics, it is used to study electromagnetic fields, fluid flow, and quantum mechanics. In engineering, it is used in signal processing, control systems, and image processing. In economics and finance, it is used to model complex systems and make predictions. It also has applications in computer science, cryptography, and many other fields.

5. What are some resources for learning Complex Analysis?

There are many resources available for learning Complex Analysis, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Complex Analysis" by Joseph Bak and Donald J. Newman, "Visual Complex Analysis" by Tristan Needham, and "Complex Variables and Applications" by James Ward Brown and Ruel V. Churchill. Online courses are available on platforms such as Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy. Video lectures can also be found on YouTube and other websites. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and level of understanding.