1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funding sources outside of the department (Graduate)

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Greetings, this is my first post here.

I just graduated with a B.S in Physics and will be attending a university for a M.Sc program (Terminal degree there).

I will be receiving a state university grant, additionally there are TA/GA positions that I am applying for.

I will also potentially be getting an RA position after I get settled in. This hopefully will be enough to live on.

However, I am encountering some problems, even with a full lab load for TA position I will be making about 10k a year, I will be living with my girlfriend in the LA/Long Beach area and she's getting about the same amount. Is it feasible to be living off this without struggling immensely? We don't spend much as it is.

I will be asking the department as well (already sent the email) but I'm strongly considering taking out a loan initially for my first year.

I saw information about the SMART grant and a few other additional grants. Chances are I'm too late for any of those applications now which is 100% my fault.

Is there anything else out there for this year or next I could potentially look into?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted