Funding sources outside of the department (Graduate)

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a forum member's plans for attending a M.Sc program and their concerns about finances, particularly in a high-cost area. They are considering various funding options such as TA/GA positions, research assistantships, and loans, and are also inquiring about grants and other funding opportunities. The conversation also suggests creating a budget and finding part-time work to supplement income. The forum member is advised to reach out to their department and other resources for support.
fire8085
Greetings, this is my first post here.

I just graduated with a B.S in Physics and will be attending a university for a M.Sc program (Terminal degree there).

I will be receiving a state university grant, additionally there are TA/GA positions that I am applying for.

I will also potentially be getting an RA position after I get settled in. This hopefully will be enough to live on.

However, I am encountering some problems, even with a full lab load for TA position I will be making about 10k a year, I will be living with my girlfriend in the LA/Long Beach area and she's getting about the same amount. Is it feasible to be living off this without struggling immensely? We don't spend much as it is.

I will be asking the department as well (already sent the email) but I'm strongly considering taking out a loan initially for my first year.

I saw information about the SMART grant and a few other additional grants. Chances are I'm too late for any of those applications now which is 100% my fault.

Is there anything else out there for this year or next I could potentially look into?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Congratulations on your graduation and acceptance into a M.Sc program! It is always exciting to see new scientists entering the field. I can understand your concerns about finances, especially in a high-cost area like LA/Long Beach. As a scientist myself, I have also faced similar challenges during my graduate studies.

Firstly, I would recommend talking to your department about potential funding opportunities. It is great that you have already reached out to them and I hope they will be able to provide you with some helpful guidance. In addition to TA/GA positions, there may be other opportunities such as research assistantships or scholarships that you can apply for. It is also worth looking into any grants or funding opportunities offered by outside organizations or foundations in your field of study.

You mentioned the possibility of taking out a loan for your first year. While this may provide some short-term financial relief, I would advise caution in relying too heavily on loans. Graduate studies can be demanding and the added stress of student loan debt can be overwhelming. It is important to carefully consider the terms and conditions of any loan before making a decision.

Regarding the SMART grant and other grants, it is never too late to apply. Keep an eye out for any upcoming deadlines and make sure to thoroughly review the eligibility requirements. You can also reach out to your university's financial aid office for assistance in finding and applying for grants.

In the meantime, I would suggest creating a budget for yourself and your girlfriend to ensure that you are living within your means. Look for ways to save money, such as meal prepping, using public transportation, or finding affordable housing options. It may also be helpful to find part-time work or freelance opportunities to supplement your income.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and hope that you are able to find financial stability during this time. Remember to stay determined and resourceful, and don't hesitate to reach out to your department or other resources for support. Science can be a challenging field, but with perseverance and a strong support system, you can achieve great things. Best of luck to you!

1. How do I find funding sources outside of my department as a graduate student?

There are several ways to find funding sources outside of your department as a graduate student. One option is to search online databases such as GrantForward or Pivot, which list various funding opportunities for graduate students in different fields. You can also reach out to your university's financial aid office or graduate school for assistance in finding external funding sources.

2. What types of funding sources can I apply for as a graduate student outside of my department?

There are various types of funding sources that graduate students can apply for outside of their department. These may include fellowships, grants, scholarships, and research funding from organizations, foundations, or government agencies. It is important to carefully review the eligibility criteria for each funding source before applying.

3. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications to receive funding from sources outside of my department?

Yes, each funding source may have its own requirements and qualifications. Some may require a specific field of study, level of academic achievement, or research topic. It is important to thoroughly read the guidelines and instructions for each funding opportunity to determine if you meet the qualifications.

4. Can I receive funding from multiple sources outside of my department at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to receive funding from multiple sources outside of your department. However, it is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of each funding source to ensure there are no conflicts or restrictions on receiving funding from multiple sources.

5. How can I improve my chances of receiving funding from sources outside of my department?

To improve your chances of receiving funding from external sources as a graduate student, it is important to thoroughly research and apply for multiple opportunities, as well as carefully follow the guidelines and instructions for each funding source. It may also be beneficial to reach out to faculty members, mentors, or other professionals in your field for advice and guidance on finding and applying for external funding opportunities.