Funny or Ouch - What's Your Honest Reaction?

In summary: All three answers apply, depending on the clip. I'm only about halfway through, but my favorite so far is at about 1:50, when the snowmobile starts driving itself after the crash.

Slapstick, hilarious or ouch

• Hilarious

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Ouch

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Huh??

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Andre
Funny or ouch??

So you come across some modern slapstick clips like this:
for instance.

You see bloopers, people crashing in various forms into solid objects. What's your honest first reaction?

I went for 'ouch'. Can't see any humor into people getting hurt. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I went for hilarious, especially if the people in the clip are being idiots, bit of ouch sometimes but mostly hilarious.

Ouch!

Comedy is when you fall down a flight of stairs. Tragedy is when I stub my toe.

A combination of OMG! and What?

I could watch these all days lol. Too hilarious. The longboarding one was the best.

Ouch!

I can't even watch these clips. Although I will admit they DO make me laugh if I see them, I hate myself for laughing as I know someone was in pain.

And for the record, I also laughed at myself when I fell off a horse because it was pure stupidity on my part, but I WAS in pain. Laughing at myself made the pain worth while.

I couldn't watch more than a few of the clips. Makes me too uncomfortable - I either cringe or just shake my head. Not funny, to me.

lisab said:
I couldn't watch more than a few of the clips. Makes me too uncomfortable - I either cringe or just shake my head. Not funny, to me.
I wonder if it is a maturity / age thing? My finding this continually funny is probably just an illumination of my immaturity.

It really depends on the severity of what I'm watching. Like some girl getting thrown off a merry-go-round is funny, because the most that happens to her is she maybe gets a bruise or two. But when that girl falls off the motorcycle (especially considering it wasn't her who initiated the wheelie), I recognize that she was more than likely seriously injured, and am incapable of finding too much humor in it.

I didn't vote since there wasn't an "inbetween" option.

lisab said:

yes same here. This stuff is awful. I couldn't even make it to 30 seconds.

All three answers apply, depending on the clip. I'm only about halfway through, but my favorite so far is at about 1:50, when the snowmobile starts driving itself after the crash.

lisab said:

Well, I can watch them. Makes me uncomfortable too - I cringe and curse out loud.

WannabeNewton said:
I wonder if it is a maturity / age thing? My finding this continually funny is probably just an illumination of my immaturity.

Age does enter it. Even though I cringe and curse now, I can see myself doing some of those things if I were your age.

lisab said:

The bad ones yeah, especially when people slam their face into concrete or something.

I won't be dishonest, I laughed hard at a lot of those, though not without some guilt. I might add that I laughed mostly at the ones in which nobody appeared to get seriously injured, just so no one thinks I'm sick. The funniest clip was the one with the guy doing maintenance on his car's engine, only to have much of the front of his car collapse.

Last edited:

Humor capitalizing on human suffering doesn't appeal to me. My opinion is real life slapstick is one of the lower tiers of comedy.

dlgoff said:
Age does enter it. Even though I cringe and curse now, I can see myself doing some of those things if I were your age.
I mean it's no Charlie Chaplin slapstick but it'll do eh? :biggrin: Maybe when I'm not a teenager anymore my proclivity towards such comedy will die off.

WoW This Stuff is SOOOO funny. Just can't stop laughing.

OMG :smile: The motorcycle one :smile::cry::smile:
It's an ouch followed by a laughter for those who appeared to be ok, but there were moments of 'what happened to the lady/guy?'

Edit: I can't vote, it's a mix of three. :biggrin:

I don't mind most of it except for the parts when people are getting seriously injured. BTW, more than one of those brought back memories of my younger days. :rolleyes:

WannabeNewton said:
Maybe when I'm not a teenager anymore my proclivity towards such comedy will die off.

:approve:

However :rolleyes: Immordino-Yang et al 2009 note that Compassion for Physical Pain (CPP) "is evolutionarily well established (see ref. 29) and develops earlier in children (see ref. 30)".

Most are hilarious.

The "ouch" ones are the ones that surely involve head injuries (the snow mobiler nearly being decapitated by a road sign, for example). Those make me cringe.

Or the ones involving car wrecks. Something like this that involves car parts airborne at over 150 mph is never good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzHqNsUvMs

Last edited by a moderator:

AnTiFreeze3 said:
It really depends on the severity of what I'm watching. Like some girl getting thrown off a merry-go-round is funny, because the most that happens to her is she maybe gets a bruise or two.
Right. I only watched for a minute or two and I doubt anyone got seriously hurt, most not at all. Most of these (as someone else said) are funny because they are people doing stupid or clumsy things - that's what slapstick is. Actually getting hurt isn't even part of what makes it funny, it is incidental and tends to degrade the humor, it does not enhance it.

WannabeNewton said:
Gawd, I hope not!

Andre said:
You see bloopers, people crashing in various forms into solid objects. What's your honest first reaction?

I went for 'ouch'. Can't see any humor into people getting hurt. Thoughts?
Some are amusing, e.g., where a child stumbles without getting hurt seriously. The others, where folks do get injured, are just sad. It's hard to judge how seriously some of those people get injured, but I wonder how many need medical attention, which drives up the cost of health (and/or property) insurance for those of us who are more sensible.

Related to Funny or Ouch - What's Your Honest Reaction?

1. What is the purpose of this study?

The purpose of this study is to investigate people's honest reactions to humorous and painful situations. This can provide insights into how people process and respond to different emotions.

2. How will the data be collected?

The data will be collected through surveys and questionnaires that ask participants to rate their reactions to various funny and painful scenarios. This can also be done through observation and recording of facial expressions and physiological responses.

3. How will the results be analyzed?

The results will be analyzed using statistical methods to determine the frequency and intensity of different reactions to funny and painful situations. This can also involve comparing the responses of different demographics to see if there are any patterns or trends.

4. What are the potential implications of this study?

This study can provide insight into how humor and pain impact individuals and society as a whole. It can also have practical applications in fields such as psychology, marketing, and entertainment.

5. Are there any potential ethical concerns with this study?

As with any study involving human subjects, ethical considerations must be taken into account. This study will ensure informed consent from participants, maintain confidentiality, and follow ethical guidelines set by the Institutional Review Board (IRB).