FunTrivia quiz: 10 timed questions with scoring
- Thread starter Integral
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Competition
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
99 replies · 60K views
Physics news on Phys.org
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
I haven't played in a while, its still fun!
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,891
- 11
My source for information for trivia quiz. Each of these songs has answered at least one question so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHQFAoPy00A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGCuDDAPggw&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHQFAoPy00A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGCuDDAPggw&NR=1
Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
Eh Gads, playing blindfolded really did not help.
- 12,179
- 186
hypatia said:Eh Gads, playing blindfolded really did not help.
Cool, I just found this thread and took my first quiz!
(I followed hypatia's advice and removed my blindfold before playing.)
- 12,179
- 186
At http://my.funtrivia.com/private/board.cfm?tid=87626 :
We could try that. To space out the sci/tech days, perhaps World Trivia could be moved to Monday, and have sci/tech on Sun-Tue-Thu.
Out of curiosity, what are the choices? Besides the obvious bias toward sci/tech, I like the Fun Trivia days as well.
The current schedule is
What do others think? (I shouldn't be the only voice in changing the categories.)
Integral51 said:should I replace one of the geo days with sci/tech?
We could try that. To space out the sci/tech days, perhaps World Trivia could be moved to Monday, and have sci/tech on Sun-Tue-Thu.
Out of curiosity, what are the choices? Besides the obvious bias toward sci/tech, I like the Fun Trivia days as well.
The current schedule is
Our Category Schedule:
Sunday: Science & Technology 2 : Intermediate
Monday: Geography 2 : Intermediate
Tuesday: World Trivia 2 : More Difficult
Wednesday: FunTrivia Mix
Thursday: Science & Technology 3 : Difficult
Friday: Geography 3 : Difficult
Saturday: FunTrivia Mix
What do others think? (I shouldn't be the only voice in changing the categories.)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 7,232
- 66
Redbelly,
I like your suggestions, and if no one objects, will implement them.
The list of topics include,
Animals (1 level)
celebrities
general knowledge (6 levels)
geography (3 levels)
history (3 level)
hobbies (1 level)
literature (2 levels)
movies (3 levels)
music (3 levels)
people (2 levels)
religion (3 levels)
sci/tech (3 levels)
sports (4 levels)
world (5 levels)
One issue is the number of questions, the default mixed bag has 100000 questions, some of the levels have less then 1000. I try to pick categories with several thousand questions, even then there seems to be lots of repeats. The smaller and easier categories turn into speed contests. Since I am slow, I tend to avoid those.
Do we want a speed demon day? Some of you are getting pretty fast now, I would be fine with it if that is what you want.
some of these have multiple levels
I like your suggestions, and if no one objects, will implement them.
The list of topics include,
Animals (1 level)
celebrities
general knowledge (6 levels)
geography (3 levels)
history (3 level)
hobbies (1 level)
literature (2 levels)
movies (3 levels)
music (3 levels)
people (2 levels)
religion (3 levels)
sci/tech (3 levels)
sports (4 levels)
world (5 levels)
One issue is the number of questions, the default mixed bag has 100000 questions, some of the levels have less then 1000. I try to pick categories with several thousand questions, even then there seems to be lots of repeats. The smaller and easier categories turn into speed contests. Since I am slow, I tend to avoid those.
Do we want a speed demon day? Some of you are getting pretty fast now, I would be fine with it if that is what you want.
some of these have multiple levels
- 12,179
- 186
And it only took you 44,760 secondsChi Meson said:Thought about it.
Wow, there are a lot of topics. Another option would be to switch 1 or 2 of them around 3 or 4 weeks, but keeping at least 2 sci/tech quizzes each week. Of course, that is extra work for you Integral, so feel free to ignore this suggestion.Integral said:The list of topics include,
Animals (1 level)
celebrities
general knowledge (6 levels)
geography (3 levels)
history (3 level)
hobbies (1 level)
literature (2 levels)
movies (3 levels)
music (3 levels)
people (2 levels)
religion (3 levels)
sci/tech (3 levels)
sports (4 levels)
world (5 levels)
It may be that people are pretty okay with whatever you decide.
- 12,179
- 186
The current mix of topics seems reasonable. I know some days leave me thinking "What the ___?", but it shouldn't be lots of people getting 10's all the time.
Sunday: Science & Technology 2 : Intermediate
Monday: General Knowledge 5 : Difficult
Tuesday: FunTrivia Mix
Wednesday: General Knowledge 1 : Very Easy
Thursday: Science & Technology 3 : Difficult
Friday: Geography 3 : Difficult
Saturday: FunTrivia Mix
- 12,179
- 186
It might be worth changing some topics for August. I have nothing against the current list, I'm thinking more for the sake of variety.
I'd be for keeping the two Sci & Tech quizzes, since we're mostly Sci & Tech people in here.
I'd be for keeping the two Sci & Tech quizzes, since we're mostly Sci & Tech people in here.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 7,232
- 66
I also suffer from a slow click. Personally I do not like the speed tests but some people enjoy that so I have kept one on the schedual.
I agree that it is time for a change, will see what I can come up with. I am very dissapointed in the lack of a true history category, when I have tried them they are called humanities and simply do not have the questions I want.
I agree that it is time for a change, will see what I can come up with. I am very dissapointed in the lack of a true history category, when I have tried them they are called humanities and simply do not have the questions I want.
maverick_starstrider
- 1,118
- 7
I am sure it's been talked about somewhere in this ginormous thread so my apologies if this is a repeat but do people here know about www.sporcle.com?
- 12,179
- 186
Integral said:I also suffer from a slow click. Personally I do not like the speed tests but some people enjoy that so I have kept one on the schedual.
I'm the same way. But the FunTrivia Mix is often a speed quiz as well, so with General Knowledge - Easier we had up to 3 of these in a single week.
Just noticed the new schedule. Thanks Integral!
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
Still fun, thanks Integral.
Jasongreat
Integral said:You can use the keyboard, Tab moves to the next question, up and down arrows select the answer.
Keep playing!
I guess I should have read further into this thread than Trivia in the first post, here I've been using my mouse pad on my laptop.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,891
- 11
OK.
It's Thursday. I check into the Trivia game. Lo and behold, Integral, my nemesis, has tanked. Last time this happened, I missed that day. But not today, no not today.
I planned my strategy...
wait to the last moment, wait until the kids are all asleep and everything is quiet,
wait for everyone else to play and see how fast I need to go, or whether I can take my time and score higher. It's a careful decision.
Anyway, I need to take my son to his swimming lesson and he can't find his Crocs. I get up, and help him with his things and get his swim bag all ready, and I turn back to put the computer to sleep and...
BENNY IS PLAYING THE QUIZ!
Benny is four, and he knows how to play internet games. He hit the start button and was halfway through answering the questions and a full minute into the game!
"YAHHHHHHHHHHHH! Benny! Benny! GEt away from there! You've ruined me! YOU'VE RUINED MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
QUickly, no knowing how many seconds have gone by, I fix all the answers I can, in total panic. Arg! Arg! Arg! I hit submit, Three wrong!
Still, edged out Integral.
It's Thursday. I check into the Trivia game. Lo and behold, Integral, my nemesis, has tanked. Last time this happened, I missed that day. But not today, no not today.
I planned my strategy...
wait to the last moment, wait until the kids are all asleep and everything is quiet,
wait for everyone else to play and see how fast I need to go, or whether I can take my time and score higher. It's a careful decision.
Anyway, I need to take my son to his swimming lesson and he can't find his Crocs. I get up, and help him with his things and get his swim bag all ready, and I turn back to put the computer to sleep and...
BENNY IS PLAYING THE QUIZ!
Benny is four, and he knows how to play internet games. He hit the start button and was halfway through answering the questions and a full minute into the game!
"YAHHHHHHHHHHHH! Benny! Benny! GEt away from there! You've ruined me! YOU'VE RUINED MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
QUickly, no knowing how many seconds have gone by, I fix all the answers I can, in total panic. Arg! Arg! Arg! I hit submit, Three wrong!
Still, edged out Integral.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 7,232
- 66

Chi,
That had me laughing harder than I have in a long time. Thanks for sharing.
I can't promise that I will give you another chance like that, so guess you will just have to settle for #2 again.
(What happened to all of our smileys?)
- 12,179
- 186
Look on the bright side Chi. Thanks to your son, I got my first win in 2 months. 
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 7,232
- 66
Chi Meson said:Tonight is the night for all of our PF members to try our trivia contest for the first time.
Come on, see if you like it.
Hey! COME ON!
DO IT!
HEAR! HEAR! The dozen or so of us who play have a lot of fun with it. Warning the competion is getting tough. In other words I don't win all the time any more.

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 7,232
- 66
Some of you may have noticed some strange comments by me in the quiz comments box.
So I started taking these triva quizes http://www.funtrivia.com/tournament/ATOT-Daily-Trivia-Challenge-78979.html". I have found that you need separate logons for each quiz and yet another for the main Funtrivia site.
You cannot take a quiz you are not logged into but the comment box still works. Only problem,when you make a comment it does not matter which quiz you are looking at,the comment shows up in the quiz you are logged in to.
So my last comment. I am currently #1 in the Anandtech quiz, as I was yesterday until something less then a half hour before the end, when a user named Bolomite came in and beat me out of first. He is both accurate and lighting fast, but does not play everyday. So the "B word" is Bolomite.
So I started taking these triva quizes http://www.funtrivia.com/tournament/ATOT-Daily-Trivia-Challenge-78979.html". I have found that you need separate logons for each quiz and yet another for the main Funtrivia site.
You cannot take a quiz you are not logged into but the comment box still works. Only problem,when you make a comment it does not matter which quiz you are looking at,the comment shows up in the quiz you are logged in to.
So my last comment. I am currently #1 in the Anandtech quiz, as I was yesterday until something less then a half hour before the end, when a user named Bolomite came in and beat me out of first. He is both accurate and lighting fast, but does not play everyday. So the "B word" is Bolomite.
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,891
- 11
Integral said:Some of you may have noticed some strange comments by me in the quiz comments box.
So I started taking these triva quizes http://www.funtrivia.com/tournament/ATOT-Daily-Trivia-Challenge-78979.html". I have found that you need separate logons for each quiz and yet another for the main Funtrivia site.
Hmm.
"Integral."
"Integral51."
Good God, man, do you do 51 quizzes every day?
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 7,232
- 66
Chi Meson said:Hmm.
"Integral."
"Integral51."
Good God, man, do you do 51 quizzes every day?
Not every day, sometimes more!

But I only have 3 user names for that site, one for each quiz and 1 for the main site. It took me several months of sporadic trying to get this quiz set up because of the necessity of separate user names.
IIRC I started using the integral51 on sites that would not accept integral when I was 51.
Similar threads
- cesarcesar2
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- reg_concept
- · Replies 3 ·
- Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
- Replies
- 3
- tetsuro1
- · Replies 4 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 4
- ZapperZ
- · Replies 39 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 39
- Evo
- · Replies 14 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 14
- St@rbury
- · Replies 12 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 12
- Kurdt
- · Replies 44 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 44
- NoHeart
- · Replies 2 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
- εllipse
- · Replies 43 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 43