Gain-Bandwidth product question

• Thread starter bitrex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, when using an op-amp with a hypothetical bandwidth of 1 MHz and a gain of 10, the unity gain will only be achieved at an input frequency of 100kHz. To calculate the effective cutoff frequency, it is necessary to ensure that the other poles apart from the dominant pole are above 100kHz. This will result in 100kHz being a close approximation to the actual -3dB frequency.
bitrex
If I have an op-amp with say, a hypothetical bandwidth of 1 MHz, and I use it in a configuration where I have a gain of 10, I know that I will only have unity gain at an input frequency of 100kHz. What I am wondering is how I go about calculating what the effective cutoff frequency is, i.e. where the gain is down -3dB? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
bitrex said:
.. and I use it in a configuration where I have a gain of 10, I know that I will only have unity gain at an input frequency of 100kHz. ...

No that's incorrect. So long as the other poles (apart from the dominant pole that sets the 1MHz GBWP) are above 100kHz then 100Khz will indeed be a very good approximation to the actual -3dB frequency.

The effective cutoff frequency in this scenario can be calculated using the gain-bandwidth product formula, which states that the product of the gain and bandwidth of an op-amp is constant. In this case, the gain-bandwidth product would be 10 MHz (10 x 1 MHz). So, to find the effective cutoff frequency, we can rearrange the formula to solve for bandwidth: bandwidth = gain-bandwidth product / gain. Plugging in the values, we get a bandwidth of 1 MHz (10 MHz / 10). This means that the effective cutoff frequency, where the gain is down -3dB, would be 1 MHz. I hope this helps answer your question!

1. What is the gain-bandwidth product?

The gain-bandwidth product (GBW) is a measure of the frequency response of an electronic amplifier. It represents the product of the amplifier's gain (in decibels) and the bandwidth (in Hertz) over which that gain is maintained.

2. How is the gain-bandwidth product calculated?

The gain-bandwidth product is calculated by multiplying the open-loop voltage gain by the frequency at which the gain drops by 3 decibels. This frequency is known as the -3 dB point or the cutoff frequency.

3. Why is the gain-bandwidth product important?

The gain-bandwidth product is important because it indicates the maximum frequency at which the amplifier can operate without significant distortion. It also helps determine the stability of the amplifier and its suitability for different applications.

4. How does the gain-bandwidth product affect an amplifier's performance?

The gain-bandwidth product affects an amplifier's performance by limiting its bandwidth. A higher GBW allows for a wider frequency range, while a lower GBW results in a narrower frequency range. Additionally, a higher GBW generally indicates a faster amplifier response time.

5. Can the gain-bandwidth product be increased?

The gain-bandwidth product is an inherent characteristic of an amplifier and cannot be increased. However, it can be optimized by carefully selecting the amplifier's components and design to achieve the desired performance for a specific application.