Galileo's relativistic postulate question

• Thread starter bernhard.rothenstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativistic
In summary, Galileo would have approved of the two statements as the light from a laser gun only moves at a speed of c as measured by an observer who sees the gun as stationary. This is true for both the observer and the one in relative motion, as long as both are measuring the speed of the light emitted by their own laser guns. Additionally, Galileo would also agree that time dilation and length contraction could be derived from the first postulate if one is able to measure very short time intervals.
bernhard.rothenstein
Consider the following statements:
1. If you move relative to me with velocity V I move relative to you with velocity -V.
Consider that I am equipped with a machine gun and with a laser gun at rest relative to me and you are equipped with identical machine gun and laser gun at rest relative to you. We are in relative motion with constant speed. If I measure the speed of the light emitted by my laser gun and the speed of a bullet fired by my machined I obtain c and u respectively. If you measure the speed of the light emitted by your laser gun and the speed of the bullet fired by your machine gun you will obtain c and u as well.
Would Galileo o.k. the two statements.
If yes I will continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
bernhard.rothenstein said:
If I measure the speed of the light emitted by my laser gun and the speed of a bullet fired by my machined I obtain c and u respectively. If you measure the speed of the light emitted by your laser gun and the speed of the bullet fired by your machine gun you will obtain c and u as well.
Would Galileo o.k. the two statements.

No …

Galileo would have said that the light from a laser gun goes at c only as measured by an observer who says the gun is stationary

(except I'm not sure he wouldn't have said it goes infinitely fast :redface:)

tiny-tim said:
No …

Galileo would have said that the light from a laser gun goes at c only as measured by an observer who says the gun is stationary

(except I'm not sure he wouldn't have said it goes infinitely fast :redface:)
Thanks.
I have mentioned that "my laser gun is at rest relative to me and that your laser gun is at rest relative to you. I measure the speed of the light signal emitted by my gun, you measure the speed of light emitted by my laser gun. As I see you aggree with the fact that we both obtain the same c. Can I consider that your answer is yes...?
I have in mind a modern Galileo being able to measure very short time intervals.

oh i see … then yes … the situation is symmetric anyway :smile:

"Would Galileo o.k. the two statements."
Yes. So is your next question, "Why do I observe the speed of the light from YOUR laser gun also as c?" :)

sganesh88 said:
"Would Galileo o.k. the two statements."
Yes. So is your next question, "Why do I observe the speed of the light from YOUR laser gun also as c?" :)
Good question.
Consider that I could imagine a scenario in which I not obliged to measure the speed of the light signal emitted by your laser gun and you are not obliged to measure the speed of the light signal emitted by my laser gun. If I could derive, following that scenario, the formulas which account for relativistic effect then I could consider that they are the result of the first postulate. It seems to me that time dilation and length contraction could be derived so.

1. What is Galileo's relativistic postulate question?

Galileo's relativistic postulate question is a thought experiment proposed by Galileo Galilei in the early 17th century. It questions the idea of absolute motion and proposes that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity.

2. How does Galileo's postulate relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Galileo's postulate is considered a precursor to Einstein's theory of relativity. While Galileo's postulate only applied to constant velocity motion, Einstein's theory expanded it to include all types of motion, including acceleration and gravity.

3. Why was Galileo's postulate controversial at the time?

Galileo's postulate went against the commonly accepted idea of absolute motion, which was based on the teachings of Aristotle. It was also seen as a challenge to the authority of the Catholic Church, which held that the Earth was the center of the universe.

4. How was Galileo's postulate proven to be correct?

Galileo's postulate was supported by later experiments and observations, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment which failed to detect any differences in the speed of light due to the Earth's motion. Einstein's theory of relativity also provided a mathematical framework to explain and support Galileo's postulate.

5. What impact did Galileo's postulate have on our understanding of the universe?

Galileo's postulate, along with Einstein's theory of relativity, revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It challenged long-held beliefs and paved the way for new discoveries and advancements in physics. It also led to the development of important concepts such as spacetime and the principle of relativity, which have greatly influenced modern physics.