Ganging two wireless access points together

In summary, ganging two wireless access points together allows for increased coverage and better network connectivity. By connecting the two access points through a wired or wireless connection, they can act as one network, providing a seamless experience for users. This setup also allows for load balancing and improved network performance. However, it is important to carefully plan the placement and configuration of the access points to avoid interference and ensure optimal coverage. Overall, ganging two wireless access points together can greatly enhance the capabilities and reach of a wireless network.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have an *extra* Linksys Wireless Access Point Router kicking around (in additon to the one I use for my home network). Both are model BEFW11S4 2.4GHz.

Is there a way to use the extra to boost the strength of the signal in my house? There are spots where my connection drops out, and other spots where my signal strength is low.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have wondered the same thing. I have a Linksys wireless router that is not being used because when I signed up for DSL, the phone company gave me a DSL modem with four Ethernet ports and wireless capability, too. I'm thinking that if I wanted to use wireless capability in my (someday) backyard observatory, I could run cable to the rear of the house, mount the the Linksys under the eaves and have only about a 75' hop line-of-sight to the observatory. I think that the only trick would be to be to sort out which of the two "available" wireless routers you wanted to talk to on the laptop and configure that as the default connection. It's not as transparent as I would like, with Windows XP, but I think its do-able.

1] I found out that you can connect 2 wireless routers by network cable but not wirelessly.

2] I went out and bought a set of high-gain antennae that designed to solve this problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

You can either get a newer router or you can buy a Repeater such as http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1130267578138&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I swear they made a 802.11b version though... you should get a better router :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
I swear they made a 802.11b version though... you should get a better router :)
:confused: That's what I have.

I meant that repeater states its a 802.11g repeater... not sure its backwards compatible however and you should get a better router :P

Pengwuino said:
I meant that repeater states its a 802.11g repeater... not sure its backwards compatible however and you should get a better router :P
I can't see any reason to. My DSL is only 1.5Mbps at best. My 802.11b runs at 11Mbps. What is the point in upgrading? Am I missing something?

802.11g has, most importantly, a larger range and allows for faster transfer inbetween computers on the same network (which doesn't matter if you're the only computer on the router of course). Of course, that's theoretical, someone on this forum has to have had some real world experience with 802.11g vs. 802.11b. I've never seen a tech site say 802.11g doesn't live up to expectations, however, so i assume the tests for the range of 802.11g came out well. They're fairly cheap as well... and probably will be cheaper when 802.11n comes out. I also know that they're backwards compatible with 802.11b

1. What does it mean to "gang two wireless access points together"?

Ganging two wireless access points together means connecting them together in order to extend the wireless network coverage. This allows devices to seamlessly switch between the two access points without losing connection.

2. How do I set up two wireless access points to work together?

The specific steps for setting up two wireless access points will depend on the brand and model of the access points. In general, you will need to connect the two access points using an Ethernet cable and configure them to have the same network name and password. This will create a single extended wireless network.

3. Can I gang two access points from different brands together?

It is possible to gang two access points from different brands together, but it may not always work seamlessly. It is best to use two access points from the same brand to ensure compatibility and easier setup.

4. What are the benefits of ganging two access points together?

Ganging two access points together can provide several benefits, such as extending wireless network coverage to areas with weak signal, increasing the number of devices that can connect to the network, and improving overall network performance.

5. Are there any downsides to ganging two access points together?

One potential downside of ganging two access points together is that it can create interference if the access points are not configured properly. This can lead to slower network speeds and connectivity issues. It is important to carefully follow setup instructions and test the network before relying on it for important tasks.