Gas heated under constant pressure - thermal energy transferred?

In summary, the question asks about the thermal energy transferred to a 1.0 sample of nitrogen gas (diatomic) that is heated at constant pressure from 300K to 420K. Given the molar specific heat at constant pressure (29.1 Jmol-1°C-1), the thermal energy transferred is calculated to be 3492 J. To convert energy denoted by temperature in degrees Celsius into joules, the temperature must first be converted to absolute temperature (in kelvins) by adding 273 K, and then the formula KE = 0.5mv2 = 3/2kT can be applied. However, this will give the energy of only one molecule.
Marcargo

Homework Statement

A 1.0 sample of nitrogen gas (diatomic)is heated at constant pressure from 300K to 420K, Cp (nitrogen) = 29.1 Jmol-1°C-1

The thermal energy transferred to the gas is?
1. 8370 J
2. 12,200 J
3. 34.90 J
4. 3590 J
5. 12.20 J

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv2 = 3/2KT (k = 1.38 x 10-23)
W = PxΔV
γ = 1.4?? (diatomic)
Q = mcΔT?

The Attempt at a Solution

C-1 (nitrogen) = 29.1 Jmol-1°C-1

KE = 1/2mv2 = 3/2KT (k = 1.38 x 10-23)
gives 2.484 x 10 -21??

Q = mcΔT
= (1 mol x (14 x 2) x 29.1 x (420 - 300)
= 97776 J??

I'm not sure of what other equations to use.
The fact that it is constant pressure suggests that it is isobaric, but I'm not sure how to integrate the formula 'W = PxΔV' with the temperature and the 'moles' of gas.
I think that 'Cp' stands for 'constant pressure' - hence I thought of using Q = MCΔT. I'm not sure whether I'm on the right track, or completely off the bat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the molar specific heat at constant pressure, you know that you have one mole, and you have the temperature delta. Sounds very straightforward.

I'm glad that it's a pretty straight-forward question :).

However, I'm relatively new to all this so it all seems a but confusing.
So, just to be sure, if I have the molar specific heat... what does that mean exactly? That for every 1°K it's going to gain 29.1°C?

Hmm 29.1°C x (420 - 300) = 3492 J...

Ah.

:)

So just for future reference - If I were to directly convert energy denoted by T°C into Energy (in Joules), would the formula KE = 0.5mv2 = 3/2kT be applicable?

Molar specific heat (at constant pressure) means that to heat one mole of matter 1 degree Celsius or one kelvin (which is the same) you need to transfer the specified amount of heat (at constant pressure).

To convert energy denoted by temperature in degrees Celsius into joules, you need to convert it to absolute temperature first (in kelvins). This is done by adding 273 K to it. Then you can apply your formula. However, keep in mind that this will give you the energy of one molecule.

That makes a lot of sense.

Thank You!

1. What is the principle behind gas heating under constant pressure?

The principle behind gas heating under constant pressure is the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In this case, the thermal energy of the gas is being transferred through heating.

2. How is heat transferred in a gas heated under constant pressure?

In a gas heated under constant pressure, heat is transferred through convection, which is the transfer of thermal energy through the movement of molecules. As the gas is heated, its molecules gain kinetic energy, causing them to move faster and collide with each other, transferring heat throughout the gas.

3. What factors affect the amount of thermal energy transferred in a gas heated under constant pressure?

The amount of thermal energy transferred in a gas heated under constant pressure is affected by the initial temperature of the gas, the amount of heat supplied, and the specific heat capacity of the gas. The specific heat capacity is a measure of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree.

4. How does the volume of a gas change during constant pressure heating?

During constant pressure heating, the volume of a gas will increase as the gas molecules gain kinetic energy and move farther apart. This increase in volume is directly proportional to the temperature increase, as described by Charles' Law.

5. What are the practical applications of gas heating under constant pressure?

Gas heating under constant pressure is commonly used in industrial processes for heating and cooling applications. It is also used in everyday household appliances, such as gas stoves and water heaters. Additionally, it is an important concept in thermodynamics and is used in various engineering and scientific fields.