What is the thermal energy transfer during stage CA?

In summary: So QCA=-(670 J).In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a review package regarding a PV diagram and calculating the thermal energy transfer during a specific stage. Two methods of solving the problem are presented, but neither matches the given answer. The conversation also clarifies the concept of work done by and on the gas, and the correct calculation for change in internal energy during the stage.
Aldnoahz
This is a question on my review package, but I still cannot understand the solution and do not know why my solution is wrong.

Homework Statement

The PV diagram is attached.
Problem: During change AB, 300 J of thermal energy is supplied to the gas. During change BC, 250 J of thermal energy is transferred. The area ABC on the PV diagram represents 120 J of energy.

Calculate the thermal energy transfer during the stage CA.

I am using equation Q = U+W

W>0 when gas expands and DOES work and W<0 when work is DONE ON gas

2. The attempt at a solution

I did this question in two ways, arriving at the same answer, but neither is correct.

Way 1:
Since CA is an isochoric change, W=0 and so Q=change in U
To find change in U, first consider change AB:
Q= deltaUAB + W, Q=300J, W=120J (from graph)
deltaUAB = 180J

Then consider change BC:
Q= deltaUBC + W, Q=250J, W= -(120+120) = -240 J (area under curve)
deltaUBC = 490J

deltaUCA = deltaUAB + deltaUBC = 670 J = Q

Way 2:
Total energy put in = 300J + 250 J = 550J
120 J is done ON the gas, Wnet = - 120J
Q= deltaU + W
deltaU = Q - W = 550 - (-120) = 670 JHowever, the answer is 550 - 120 = 430J without much explanation. I am confused...

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I agree with your answer except for the sign. Shouldn't the answer be QCA = -670 J?

The graph doesn't seem to agree with the statement that the area enclosed by the cycle represents 120 J. Each large block of the grid represents 20 J. The number of blocks enclosed in the cycle is about 12, which corresponds to an energy of about 240 J.

I want to make sure I'm following your second way.
Aldnoahz said:
Way 2:
Total energy put in = 300J + 250 J = 550J
This is the total heat added for just the two steps AB and BC, not the total heat for the cycle. Right?
120 J is done ON the gas, Wnet = - 120J
Wnet here is the work done BY the gas for steps AB and BC together and it is also the work done by the gas for the complete cycle. Is that right?
Q= deltaU + W
deltaU = Q - W = 550 - (-120) = 670 J
Here's where I'm a little uncertain. I think you're calculating the total change in internal energy for steps AB and BC together. If so, you still need to state how to use this to get QCA.

Last edited:
Change CA is indeed a loss of thermal energy. If we regard loss as negative, then yes, the answer should be negative.

For the second way maybe I didn't explain as thoroughly.

This is the total heat added for just the two steps AB and BC, not the total heat for the cycle. Right?

I think that it should also be the total heat input because no heat is added during change CA.

Wnet here is the work done BY the gas for steps AB and BC together and it is also the work done by the gas for the complete cycle. Right?

I think that 120 J is the work done ON the gas because the graph shows that during BC the volume is decreases so the gas is compressed. This is also why I used -120J instead of postive.

Here's where I'm a little uncertain. I think you're calculating the total change in internal energy for steps AB and BC together. If so, you still need to state how to use this to get QCA.

I should have explained this more. As shown in the first way, CA is isochoric, and W=0. Therefore Q=deltaUCA

Now deltaU should be numerically the same as Q lost during change CA.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

But the overall question is: I am pretty confident that my derivation is reasonable but it does not match the answer key, which should be pretty reliable because it is from past phyiscs exam. I attached a photo of the actual answer.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 357
Aldnoahz said:
I think that it should also be the total heat input because no heat is added during change CA.
But you are trying to find the head added during change CA
I think that 120 J is the work done ON the gas because the graph shows that during BC the volume is decreases so the gas is compressed. This is also why I used -120J instead of postive.
OK, good.
I should have explained this more. As shown in the first way, CA is isochoric, and W=0. Therefore Q=deltaUCA
OK,
QCA=deltaUCA, where deltaUCA = -(deltaUAB+deltaUBC).

Related to What is the thermal energy transfer during stage CA?

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It explains how energy is transferred between different forms and systems, and how these processes affect the behavior of matter.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its transformations. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero is zero.

How does thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It explains how energy is used in cooking, transportation, and other activities. It also helps us understand weather patterns, climate change, and the functioning of various devices and machines.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one system to another due to a temperature difference, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. In other words, heat is the process of energy transfer, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

What is the relationship between thermodynamics and entropy?

Entropy is a key concept in thermodynamics, as it measures the disorder or randomness of a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, which explains why systems tend to move towards more disorder. Entropy also plays a crucial role in understanding energy transfer and conversion processes.