Gas Strut - ideal mounting position & Force Calculation

In summary, the author has a construction made from extruded aluminum that has a top frame that opens at 90 degrees with external hinge, and a weight of 6kg. The dimensions are 50x75cm
Vatech
TL;DR Summary
A pair of gas springs is needed to be installed on a top opening aluminum extrusion frame.
The position methods differ. Motion results also.I am a computer engineer, this is out of my field so i would be thankful for some help.
I have a construction made from 4040 aluminum extrusion.
The top frame is opening at 90deg with external hinge.
the weight of the top is 6Kg
The dimensions are 50X75cm externally
and 42X67 internally (as the frame width is 4cm)
If pictures with dimensions would help please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vatech said:
If pictures with dimensions would help please let me know
Yes, please. Diagrams/pictures always help. :smile:

I was kind of in a hurry so i designed the basic structure to be able to select the stroke and length needed.
i found that a total legth of 342mm hardly matches, so the next length i found is 402mm which fits easilly.
About the force i though of buying adjustable air spring and remove pressure until i get the expected result. What do you think?
Also, thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 248
"Ideal" mounting position... It's not all that clear to me what you're asking.

To maximize the effectiveness of strut force, you'd want to increase the angle (i.e. move the bottom mount further towards the front of the enclosure) and keep the upper mounting point far away from the hinge...

In your drawing, it looks like the bottom mount point is quite close to the lid hinge. when the lid is closed, the force vector would be practically aligned with the surface of the lid, instead of perpendicular to it...

With enough force from the strut, the two positional considerations I mentioned above don't matter much.

I need less force when the top is in open position . This means that the Bottom bracket of the strut would be reasonable close to hinge. When its in close position Yes , logically to be aligned with the top bracket would not help, that's why i is some cm below .
I am not an Engineer, that's why i come here for help.
By search on different installations i fould that on top opening applications they use that layout of bracket positions.
Just for reference :

Likes Lnewqban
Because the angle of the lid is changing, there will almost certainly be less "opening" force when the lid is opened, compared to when it is closed.

The way you would check the adequacy of the force of the strut, is by decomposing the weight of the lid and strut force into vectors perpendicular to the lid and taking the moment about the hinge. Moment = force x distance. So you'll have something like mgcos(a)*d1 = F(strut,perpendicular)*d2.

The perpendicular component of the strut would be Fsin(b) as I have it drawn here, but it might be easier to define it from a different angle, depending on your actual placement.
1617279961260.png

Likes Lnewqban and Vatech

1. What is a gas strut?

A gas strut is a type of mechanical device that uses compressed gas to provide controlled movement and support. It consists of a piston and cylinder filled with gas, typically nitrogen, and has a valve to control the flow of gas.

2. What is the ideal mounting position for a gas strut?

The ideal mounting position for a gas strut is determined by the application and the desired movement. Generally, it is recommended to mount the strut horizontally to ensure smooth and consistent movement. However, for certain applications, such as hoods or doors, a vertical mounting position may be more suitable.

3. How do you calculate the force of a gas strut?

The force of a gas strut is determined by its size, pressure, and the distance between the mounting points. The formula for calculating force is F = P x A, where F is force, P is pressure, and A is the cross-sectional area of the piston. The recommended force for a gas strut should be 30-40% higher than the actual weight of the object it is supporting.

4. Can a gas strut be adjusted for different force requirements?

Yes, the force of a gas strut can be adjusted by changing the pressure inside the cylinder. This can be done by adjusting the valve or by using a different gas pressure during installation. However, it is important to note that altering the force of a gas strut can affect its performance and may require recalculating the ideal mounting position.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a gas strut?

When choosing a gas strut, it is important to consider the weight and size of the object it will be supporting, the desired movement, and the mounting position. Other factors to consider include the operating temperature, lifespan, and any special features or customization options that may be needed for the specific application.