Gas turbine self sustaining point

In summary, the engine might not be able to sustain itself because there is not enough power being produced by the turbine.
Bonavaero
Hi,
I want to review a turbocharger gas turbine design project. The previous problem was, the gas turbine could not sustain itself. Help me out if you can figure out what could be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I and several others hear might be able to help, but none of us can help without knowing who/what/where/why/how the gas turbine could not sustain itself. We're scientists and engineers, not clairvoyants.

Need input!

Hi,
It is the what/who/ why ... i want to be enlightened about. The problem the previous group encountered was the engine shutting down when the removed the air jet blower they were using to crank the turbine into starting.
It can probably be the starting mechanism,; it could also be something you might help me with.
Thank you.

First guess (and the most obvious one), there's not enough air getting to it.

Jet engines also sustain ignition via burner cans or igniters. The latter are usually turned off during normal operations, but are turned on during critical phases of flight.

As mugaliens said in the second post, you're initial post is very analogous to saying:
Hi guys. I woke up this morning and tried to go to work but my car didn't start. What could be causing this?
You still have a lot of questions to answer yourself. Are you confident in your combustion? Are you trying to start the engine in a "good" operating range? What are you instrumenting? What are your instruments telling you?

Can you give us some more information please?
What fuel are you using?
Do you achieve a steady speed before the starter blower is removed?
Are you running into any speed / temperature limits while trying to start?
How are you regulating your fuel flow?
What sort of state is the compressor in?
On a very basic level if you are not achieving sustained running, the power being used to compress the air is more then the power being produced by the turbine.

What is a gas turbine self sustaining point?

A gas turbine self sustaining point is the operating condition of a gas turbine engine in which it is able to generate enough power to sustain its own operation without the need for external power sources.

How is the self sustaining point of a gas turbine engine determined?

The self sustaining point of a gas turbine engine is determined by a combination of factors including the design and efficiency of the engine, the type and quality of fuel being used, and the environmental conditions in which the engine is operating.

What is the significance of the self sustaining point for gas turbine engines?

The self sustaining point is an important operating condition for gas turbine engines as it represents the point at which the engine is most efficient and able to produce the maximum amount of power with the least amount of fuel consumption. It is also a critical factor in determining the overall performance and reliability of the engine.

Can the self sustaining point of a gas turbine engine be adjusted?

Yes, the self sustaining point of a gas turbine engine can be adjusted by making changes to the engine design, fuel composition, or environmental conditions in which it operates. However, any changes made must be carefully considered as they can also have an impact on the overall performance and efficiency of the engine.

What are the potential challenges in maintaining the self sustaining point of a gas turbine engine?

Some potential challenges in maintaining the self sustaining point of a gas turbine engine include variations in fuel quality, changes in environmental conditions, and wear and tear on engine components. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the engine's performance can help to mitigate these challenges and ensure the engine continues to operate at its self sustaining point.