Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Calculation of mass flow rate of 50MW

1. Jul 2, 2016 #1
    Hi i have calculated compressor , combustor , turbine inlet and outlet temperature , pressure so on and my output of gas turbine is 50MW , So for this i want to calculate the mass flow rate of air and fuel in compressor , combustor , turbine . Like m0=?,m1=?fan inlet,m2=? compressor inlet,m3=? combustor inlet,m4=turbine inlet?and massflow rate of fuel mf=? Kindly help me out soon as possible ....

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2016 #2

JBA

The mass flow is the same throughout the engine; but, the gas velocity will vary depending upon the design and flow characteristics of each section of the engine.

4. Jul 2, 2016 #3
    so what will be the mass flow rate through the fan for gas turbine of 50mw ...

5. Jul 2, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please describe the engine configuration and and show us your design calculations .

6. Jul 2, 2016 #5
    Simple single shaft gas turbine one compressor , one turbine . T1 COMPRESSOR inlet=288K,T2 combustor inlet=792.70K,T3 combustor outlet=1500K,T4 turbine outlet=733.50K, same points like pressure P1=101 kpa, P2=1800 kpa , p 3 = 1800 kpa , P4= 101 kpa ... compressor efficiency = 0.88 , combustion chamber eff = 0.98, turbine eff = 0.9, mechanical efficiency = 0.98 . finally turbine output power is = 50 Mw .. here i need mass flow rate for all stages like M1 = compressor mass flow rate,M2 = combustor mass flow rate ,M3 = turbine mass flow rate ,Mf =Mass flow rate of fuel ?

7. Jul 8, 2016 #6

JBA

If you don't know the mass flow at the power turbine, how did you determine the turbine output power to be 50 mW?

8. Jul 16, 2016 #7
    You have all the data in the problem statement to compute power output / unit mass flow rate and then find out flow rate to achieve 50MW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted