Gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Science Advisor
- 558
- 0
Hi EL!
For example, have a look at section 2 in this paper.
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph?papernum=9602220
For example, have a look at section 2 in this paper.
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph?papernum=9602220
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,743
- 249
You could try replacing m^2 in denominators by (m-i\gamma/2)^2.
If that breaks GI, just stay in that particular gauge.
If that breaks GI, just stay in that particular gauge.
Science Advisor
- 558
- 0
I'm not really able to see how that method gives hope to retain gauge invariance if the ordinary Breit-Wigner fails? I mean, all it does just to add one more term, quadratic in "gamma", in the denominators?
(And for two simple cases I've checked, Compton scattering and electron-positron annihilation, it doesn't help to restore GI.)
(And for two simple cases I've checked, Compton scattering and electron-positron annihilation, it doesn't help to restore GI.)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,743
- 249
If an approximation breaks GI. You can do everything in that gauge.
You don't need GI to complete an approximate calclation.
You don't need GI to complete an approximate calclation.
Science Advisor
- 558
- 0
I would like to have a gauge invariant amplitude since I suspect strong cancelations are important in the certain process I'm interested in.
If I do as you suggest and just stick to a certain gauge, which one is the "correct" to be in when I insert the width in the propagators?
If I do as you suggest and just stick to a certain gauge, which one is the "correct" to be in when I insert the width in the propagators?
Similar threads
- Ghost Repeater
- · Replies 2 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 2
- Ramtin123
- · Replies 3 ·
- Beyond the Standard Models
- Replies
- 3
- Gabi_K
- · Replies 1 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 1
- gn0m0n
- · Replies 11 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 11
Graduate
Lorentz and Gauge invariance of EM
- AHSAN MUJTABA
- · Replies 4 ·
- Electromagnetism
- Replies
- 4
- spaghetti3451
- · Replies 1 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 1
- shirosato
- · Replies 3 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 3
- atyy
- · Replies 6 ·
- Beyond the Standard Models
- Replies
- 6
Graduate
What is Gauge Invariance in QFT?
- izh-21251
- · Replies 15 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 15
- PsiPhi
- · Replies 6 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 6