1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law and an infinite sheet

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a small circular hole of radius R = 2.03 cm has been cut in the middle of an infinite, flat, nonconducting surface that has a uniform charge density σ = 4.61 pC/m^2. A z axis, with its origin at the hole's center, is perpendicular to the surface. What is the magnitude (in N/C) of the electric field at point P at z = 3.05 cm? (Hint: See Eq. 22-26 and use superposition.)

There is supposed to be a figure, but it really doesn't lend much to this. It is a flat sheet laid on the horizon, with the z axis going through a hole in the middle of the sheet. Point P is on the z axis, and R is just shown as the radius of the hole in the sheet. Which, is pretty much what was said in the problem....

2. Relevant equations

the equation mentioned above is
    E = (σ / 2ε) *( 1- z/ (√z^2 + R^2))

but how I'm supposed to use that and superposition, I am not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to just plug in the given values, but I don't think that it right, because the question mentions superposition, but what am I adding together?! There was an additional hint about using a disc of equal magnitude and such, but oppostire direction. Wouldn't I then need a different equation? Help! (and Thanks)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

There is a favorite trick for dealing with "holes" in charge distributions. You use the superposition of the field for an infinite sheet of uniform surface charge density σ , together with the field for a disk the size of the "hole", having uniform surface charge density -σ .

4. Jun 10, 2008 #3
    oooo, so for the sheet I would use sigma/2*epsilon and the disc would have a -sigma value.....then I add those numbers and viola! I have the solution. Thanks!

5. Jun 10, 2008 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Yes, for its electric field, since this is a non-conducting sheet.

Yes, in the equation you were given for the field along the axis for a uniformly charged disk at a distance z from the plane of the disk.

That should do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?