Gauss' Law Application Question

In summary, using Gauss' Law, the electric field at a distance of 0.1 m from a thin nonconductive rod with a linear charge density of 10^-11 C/m is λ/(2πrε_0). The length of the rod does not affect the calculation due to symmetry.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

A linear charge lambda = 10^-11 C/m is uniformly distributed along a thin nonconductive rod of length L = 0.5 m.
Use Gauss' Law to calculate the field at a distance of r = 0.1 m from the charged rod.

Homework Equations

E.da = Q/ε_0

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I assumed the rod was a line charge (as opposed to a cylinder, as it's so thin, yes?).

Then I rewrote Gauss' Law as: E_x.2πx_0.dz, where x_0 = 0.1 (... I chose a cylinder perpendicular to the rod as my Gaussian surface)
and the right-hand side as: λdz/ε_0
And so: E_x = λ/2πx_0ε_0

But I don't think this can be correct, as I haven't taken the length of the rod into account.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that the radial distance from the rod is .1m. I suppose that they want the field somewhere toward he middle so that you may presume that the field lines are ⊥ still to the surface? If there is no particular location along the rod they want, then I'd say you can ignore the length through symmetry and use the charge per unit length in your answer.

It looks like you're doing it right. Length shouldn't matter in the problem. In your equation: E_x.2πx_0.dz = λdz/ε_0, your boundaries of integration should be 0 to the length of the Gaussian surface, L. You'll end up with E2πrL = λL/ε_0. Clearly, the L cancels out on both sides. Solving for E, E = λ/(2πrε_0)

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed electric charge.

How is Gauss' Law applied in real-life situations?

Gauss' Law is applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the electric field around a charged object or determining the charge distribution on a conducting surface.

How do you calculate electric flux using Gauss' Law?

To calculate electric flux using Gauss' Law, you need to determine the electric field at every point on a closed surface and then integrate the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector over the entire surface.

What are some common examples of Gauss' Law application?

Some common examples of Gauss' Law application include finding the electric field between two parallel plates, determining the electric field inside a charged conducting sphere, and calculating the electric field of a point charge.

What are the limitations of Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is limited to situations with high symmetry, as it relies on the simplifying assumption of a closed surface. It also does not take into account the effects of changing magnetic fields or moving charges.