Cylinder rod charge density (Gauss Law)

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at a point inside, within, and outside of an infinite cylindrical shell with inner radius a, outer radius b, and uniform volume charge density ρ. Using Gauss' law, the integral for Q enclosed is calculated and the electric field is found to be E = (ρr)/(2ε0) for points within the shell, and E = 0 for points outside the shell. The graph of E vs r is also requested.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Theres a cylinder rod inner radius a outer raidus b.we want to find electric field between a and b,like point r (or radius r) a<r<b.

Homework Equations

Gauss Law

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I am trying to find Q enclosed but something make me confused.I am taking an integral and I found ##E=\frac {Q} {2π(b^2-a^2)ε_0}## is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your result for E doesn't look correct.

The problem doesn't give any information about the length of the cylindrical rod or how the charge is distributed inside the rod.

When using Gauss' law, clearly state the geometry of the Gaussian surface and show your steps in arriving at the result.

Its length is infinite and charge distribution is uniform.I found now ##E=/frac {pr} {2e_0}##

I was thinking it was wrong too cause it was looking so weird.

If last result is true I ll be happy

Arman777 said:
Its length is infinite and charge distribution is uniform.I found now ##E=/frac {pr} {2e_0}##
That makes no sense. Did you mean ##E=\frac {\rho r} {2e_0}##? ##E=\frac {\pi r} {2e_0}##? Or...?

haruspex said:
That makes no sense. Did you mean ##E=\frac {\rho r} {2e_0}##? ##E=\frac {\pi r} {2e_0}##? Or...?
oh sorry I typed from my phone . ok İts ##E=\frac {\rho r} {2e_0}##

Arman777 said:
oh sorry I typed from my phone . ok İts ##E=\frac {\rho r} {2e_0}##
I think that would right for a=0. Clearly it must depend on a though (e.g. consider r=a).

I ll share the whole question to make things clear.Its confusing like this

Cylindrical Shell: Consider an infinite cylindrical shell with inner radius a, outer radius b and uniform volume charge density ρ. Consider a point at a distance r from the central axis. Compute the electric field at this point
(a) when the point is inside the cavity of the cylinder (r < a),
(b) when the point is within the shell (a < r < b),
(c) and when the point is outside (b < r).
(d) Sketch the E vs r graph. (Here E is the radial component of the electric field.)

Adsız.png

I ll share my steps

I changed my approach.

Lets take a length ##L## horizontal so Total Flux will be ##E(2πrL)##

##Q_{enc}=\int ρ \, dv##
##dv=π2rLdr##
##ρ## is constant so
##Q_enc=ρ\int_f^g π2rL \, dr##
What should be ##f## and ##g## ?
##f=a , g=r## ?

Arman777 said:
##f=a , g=r## ?
Yes.

Likes Arman777
ok thanks.

1. What is cylinder rod charge density?

Cylinder rod charge density, also known as linear charge density, is the amount of electric charge per unit length of a cylinder-shaped conductor. It is denoted by the symbol λ and is measured in coulombs per meter (C/m).

2. How is cylinder rod charge density calculated?

Cylinder rod charge density can be calculated by dividing the total charge of the cylinder by its length. This can be expressed mathematically as λ = Q/L, where Q is the total charge and L is the length of the cylinder.

3. What is Gauss's Law and how does it relate to cylinder rod charge density?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the net charge enclosed within that surface. In the case of a cylinder, the electric flux through the curved surface is directly proportional to the linear charge density.

4. How does the charge density affect the electric field around a cylinder?

The charge density directly affects the strength of the electric field around a cylinder. The higher the charge density, the stronger the electric field will be. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge density.

5. Can the charge density of a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the charge density of a cylinder can be negative. This would indicate that the charge on the cylinder is negative, meaning that it has an excess of electrons. This can occur, for example, if the cylinder is made of a material with a negative charge.