Gauss' Law - Planar Symmetry HELP

In summary: So you can't just plug .5 mm in for "r" as you did.But (b) is not for an infinite plate, it is for a point charge. A point charge is a charge that is concentrated at a single point, so its size is effectively zero. Therefore, for (b), you use E = [ 1/(4pie) ] [ q/r^2 ].In summary, for the given conversation, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the electric field for a square plate with a charge of 6.3 x 10^-6 C. Part (a) involves estimating the electric field just off the center of the plate using the equation E = (Omega)/(2e) where Omega is the
yanimated

Homework Statement

A square plate of edge length 9.0 cm and negligible thickness has a total charge of 6.3 x 10-6 C.

(a) Estimate the magnitude E of the electric field just off the center of the plate (at, say, a distance of 0.50 mm) by assuming that the charge is spread uniformly over the two faces of the plate.

(b) Estimate E at a distance of 62 m (large relative to the plate size) by assuming that the plate is a point charge.

Homework Equations

E = magnitude of electric field
Omega = Surface Charge Density
e = 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2
pi = pi (ie 3.14...)
r = radius
q = Charge

E = (Omega)/(2e)

and then I used E = [ 1/(4pie) ] [ q/r^2 ]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I first used the second equation there with q = 6.3 x 10^-6 C
and r = .5 mm = .0005 m to find the magnitude of the electric field.

And then I plugged what I got there into E = (Omega)/(2e) to find Omega.

That was wrong :(. What am I doing wrong? Is there another equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
mmm... (a) is just the case of finding E field for an infiinitely large plate for the distance to plate is small compare to plate size... so r does not comes in at all...besides you had E = (Omega)/(2e), nowhere is there a "r" in here!

(b) as suggested by the hint, treat it as a point charge

"just off the center of the plate (at, say, a distance of 0.50 mm)"

So wouldn't the .50mm be the radius? Or am I just still not getting it?

IF you consider that the plate is effectively an infinite plate, THEN you use E=(Omega)/2e as suggested by you... and there is no "r" in this equation!

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charge to the electric field produced by that charge.

2. What does "planar symmetry" mean in relation to Gauss' Law?

Planar symmetry refers to a situation in which the electric field and charge distribution have the same symmetry with respect to a plane. This simplifies the calculation of electric fields using Gauss' Law.

3. How do you use Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field in a planar symmetric system?

To use Gauss' Law in a planar symmetric system, you need to choose a Gaussian surface that is perpendicular to the plane of symmetry. Then, you can calculate the electric field by integrating the charge enclosed by the Gaussian surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

4. What is the significance of Gauss' Law in physics?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law that allows us to understand and calculate the electric field in various systems. It is one of Maxwell's equations and is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric charges and their interactions.

5. Can Gauss' Law be applied to non-planar symmetric systems?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to non-planar symmetric systems as well. However, the calculation of the electric field may be more complex and may require the use of vector calculus. In these cases, it is helpful to break the system into smaller, planar symmetric components to simplify the calculation.