GCSE/IGCSE course choice for sciences

In summary, the conversation involved a person living in England who is interested in studying physics or neuroscience at university. They are currently taking their GCSEs and have a dilemma with some of the courses they are taking. They are considering taking a Science GCSE course which includes Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, as well as separate IGCSE Physics and Chemistry courses. However, there is a scheduling conflict and they must choose between taking the science GCSE course or the IGCSE courses. The person is seeking advice on which courses to take and if universities consider the levels of GCSEs when applying. The conversation also discusses the importance of taking A levels in main science subjects and suggests checking university entry requirements carefully. It is suggested that for a
Patriciamsv
Hello,

I live in England, and in the future I would like to study physics or neuroscience at university. I am currently taking my GCSEs, and I have a dilemma with some of the courses I am taking:

I'm taking a Science GCSE course which includes Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and I am also taking IGCSE Physics and IGCSE Chemistry separately. As two of the GCSE exams clash with the IGCSE exams, I have to choose between taking the science GCSE course, or IGCSE courses.

It would be more convenient for me to take the GCSE Science course, as I take it at a college, and I am home educated otherwise. However, the quality of the IGCSE courses is much higher than the GCSE, and so in that sense I want to take the IGCSE exams.

If possible I would like to have some advice on which courses I should take, and do colleges and universities look at/consider which courses have been taken?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you not take IGCSE exams later? In my day they had resits in the summer. I doubt things have changed, so can't you take them in this resit period? As you are interested in neuroscience why aren't you taking IGSCE biology? Given your two main interests you should be taking all sciences (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) at as high a level as you can for as long as you can. Then you'll have some basis for judging between physics and neuroscience. For instance, if you learn to hate the biology lab work, and get higher grades in physics and maths, then physics would seem the better choice!

mal4mac said:
Can you not take IGCSE exams later? In my day they had resits in the summer. I doubt things have changed, so can't you take them in this resit period? As you are interested in neuroscience why aren't you taking IGSCE biology? Given your two main interests you should be taking all sciences (maths, physics, chemistry, biology) at as high a level as you can for as long as you can. Then you'll have some basis for judging between physics and neuroscience. For instance, if you learn to hate the biology lab work, and get higher grades in physics and maths, then physics would seem the better choice!

Thank you for your response. The exams are over the May/June period, so I don't think there will be any resits until the year after, and I hope to start my A levels in September. I haven't listed IGCSE Biology, as I've already taken it this year. I do think you're right in saying that I should study to the highest level I can, and I can also learn more in my spare time. Do you know if universities look at the levels of GCSE taken?

Patriciamsv said:
Thank you for your response. The exams are over the May/June period, so I don't think there will be any resits until the year after, and I hope to start my A levels in September. I haven't listed IGCSE Biology, as I've already taken it this year. I do think you're right in saying that I should study to the highest level I can, and I can also learn more in my spare time. Do you know if universities look at the levels of GCSE taken?

No university will look down on choosing GCSE instead of IGCSE (including Oxbridge), so you can take only GCSE if you want. But of course, it is a good idea to do IGCSE in your spare time, to increase your knowledge about the subjects

You will need A levels in your main science subjects (and in probably maths as well) to apply for university science degree.

Nobody will care what previous exams you took in those subjects. They will just look at your A level results. Don't waste time collecting multiple exam passes at lower level.

In most UK schools, you would need a good GSCE grade in a subject to take the A level course, but if you are home schooled even that is irrelevant - except you get some practice in taking exams "for real".

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
You will need A levels in your main science subjects (and in probably maths as well) to apply for university science degree.

Nobody will care what previous exams you took in those subjects. They will just look at your A level results. Don't waste time collecting multiple exam passes at lower level.

In most UK schools, you would need a good GSCE grade in a subject to take the A level course, but if you are home schooled even that is irrelevant - except you get some practice in taking exams "for real".

Seconded
Focus on getting as good grades for your GCSEs as possible, (Edit: and as good grounding as possible of course) and prepare for your A-levels. The A-levels are the most important.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Neuroscience is a tricky one! Which A levels would be best for that? I would check entry requirement web pages of all possible universities carefully, e.g:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/neuroscience/entryrequirements

For "neuroscience or physics" then obviously Maths & Physics should be two of the options. But what should be the third? Chemistry or Biology?

King's college say:

"AAB to include a minimum of two from (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics) of which at least one must be Chemistry or Biology and, if only one, you must have AS grade A in the other subject."

This means that if you get Chemistry A and Biology B at AS level, then you should do Biology at A level, i.e., press on with your weaker subject! Or drop physics...

For some universities you may get to put off the physics/neuroscience choice until part way through the actual course:

http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/resources/prospective_students/

Read Dawkins' recent biography as it has quite a lot on "choosing what science to do" and "getting into Oxbridge".

What is the difference between GCSE and IGCSE courses for sciences?

The main difference between GCSE and IGCSE courses for sciences is that GCSE is a qualification offered by exam boards in the United Kingdom, while IGCSE is an internationally recognized qualification offered by Cambridge International Examinations. Additionally, IGCSE courses may cover a broader range of topics and have a stronger focus on practical skills.

What sciences can I take at GCSE/IGCSE level?

At GCSE/IGCSE level, students can typically choose from biology, chemistry, physics, and combined science (which encompasses all three subjects). Some exam boards may also offer additional sciences such as environmental science or human biology.

Which science subject should I choose for my GCSE/IGCSE?

The science subject you choose should align with your interests and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in medicine, biology may be the best choice. If you enjoy problem-solving and want to pursue a career in engineering, physics may be a good fit. It is also important to consider which science subject you excel in and enjoy studying.

How many exams will I have to take for my GCSE/IGCSE in sciences?

The number of exams you will have to take for your GCSE/IGCSE in sciences will depend on the exam board and the specific course you are taking. Generally, you can expect to take at least two exams for each science subject, one for theory and one for practical skills.

Do I need to take all three sciences at GCSE/IGCSE level?

This depends on your school and your future plans. Some schools may require students to take all three sciences, while others may allow students to choose one or two. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a science-related field, it is recommended to take all three sciences to have a strong foundation for further study.