How did I miss this easy derivative question on my calc 2 exam?

• Thread starter octahedron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: Excellent test strategy. It's a confidence booster to get two or three easy problems done, then you can relax and concentrate on the rest of the exam. Excellent test strategy. It's a confidence booster to get two or three easy problems done, then you can relax and concentrate on the rest of the exam.
octahedron
So in a calc 2 exam, you gloss over all the derivatives questions and get to integration and series. You get the really tough integrals, but you miss the grade-boosting derivative question (10%/100)?! So I've never gotten lower than 95% on a math midterm, but now I'm getting 85%~. Look at how stupid I was when I saw this question:

Find y' of [tex](x^{2} + 3x)^{ln(x)}[/tex]. If I told you I used power rule, how'd that bode for me as a math major?

Physics news on Phys.org
Art is a nice major :smile: - not meant to denigrate Art...

That's not an easy derivative. Should of used the chain rule first though, then it looks like some sort of product, I had a quick go, but I think it might take a while. And anyway quit beating yourself up everyone makes mistakes. :smile:

Oh, I used the chain rule along with the power rule. My point was that I treated ln(x) as a constant by somehow overlooking the x in ln, ha ha. Definitely looking at art history for a change.

Last edited:
octahedron said:
Oh, I used the chain rule along with the power rule. My point was that I treated ln(x) as a constant by somehow overlooking the x in ln, ha ha. Definitely looking at art history for a change.

Hehe, yeah that's pretty dumb, but nobody's perfect. :smile:

The power rule is the chain rule for powers, I got what you meant.

Oh by the way x is not a constant. :-p

x is a constant pain in the ass. I'm always having to solve for x. Why can't x solve for itself?

octahedron said:
So in a calc 2 exam, you gloss over all the derivatives questions and get to integration and series. You get the really tough integrals, but you miss the grade-boosting derivative question (10%/100)?! So I've never gotten lower than 95% on a math midterm, but now I'm getting 85%~. Look at how stupid I was when I saw this question:

Find y' of [tex](x^{2} + 3x)^{ln(x)}[/tex]. If I told you I used power rule, how'd that bode for me as a math major?
Don't take it so hard. In cases like this, I have just worked out the problem and shown it to the teacher so that the teacher realizes I know how to work the problem. I'm sure I've made exactly the same mistake with regard to a variable exponent.

Sometimes one has to think in terms of f(x)g(x).

Astronuc said:
Sometimes one has to think in terms of f(x)g(x).

Then one just has to remember that

[tex]
f(x)^{g(x)} = \exp(g(x)\ln(f(x)))
[/tex]

sometimes, one of the techniques which I utliize whenever I take exams is this:

Skip over any questions which you have to think for more than about 1-2 mins. This ensures that you do not spend needless time over questions that you MAY not be able to solve. Instread, when you get back to these questions, you should have plenty of time to solve them and this psychological advantage will help you calm your nerves whereas if you were to solve the question head on, you will get more nervous as you feel that you are running out of time and spending too much time on one question.

My anxiety levels in exams were terrible (as they are everywhere). I used to go in rush as much as I could in the 30 minutes and then run away :smile:. I'm amazed I passed anything.

Last edited:
Oerg said:
sometimes, one of the techniques which I utliize whenever I take exams is this:

Skip over any questions which you have to think for more than about 1-2 mins. This ensures that you do not spend needless time over questions that you MAY not be able to solve. Instread, when you get back to these questions, you should have plenty of time to solve them and this psychological advantage will help you calm your nerves whereas if you were to solve the question head on, you will get more nervous as you feel that you are running out of time and spending too much time on one question.

Excellent test strategy. It's a confidence booster to get two or three easy problems done, then you can relax and concentrate on the rest of the exam.

Oerg said:
Skip over any questions which you have to think for more than about 1-2 mins. .

I did that to my electormagnetism exam. I ended up just skipping all problems, and just started over again...

tkjacobsen said:
I did that to my electormagnetism exam. I ended up just skipping all problems, and just started over again...

:smile:

Laugh if you will, I did the exact same thing on more than one occasion.

Last test, there were only 3 problems.

Oh I remember those days very clearly. There aren't any "gimmees" on upper division E&M exams!

Kurdt said:
x is a constant pain in the ass. I'm always having to solve for x. Why can't x solve for itself?
Yeah, what a useless variable. It should start pulling its own weight and solving some of its own problems. :rolleyes:

tkjacobsen said:

:smile: Indeed, that advice only works up to a certain level. When you get 6 questions and 4 hours for an exam, skipping the hard questions while looking for some you can quickly complete in 1-2 min isn't a very effective strategy anymore. :biggrin:

octahedron, there's no point beating yourself up over it. Everyone has made a fatal exam mistake that lost them a lot of points for reading carelessly at sometime in their life.

I'm definitely not beating myself over this again. :p
Oerg said:
Skip over any questions which you have to think for more than about 1-2 mins.

I did that in my physics midterm (baby E&M), and it served me well. Somehow during my math midterms I get too excited for my own good and decide to get to the "real" questions quickly and skip all the fluff (the derivatives -- two of them, and accounting for 20% -- were fluff, but I somehow regret not second guessing myself on the second one -- it seemed over too quickly).

tkjacobsen said:

Heh. Sorry about that.

Kurdt said:

I know, right? Found the pun funny, ha ha.

Last edited:
octahedron said:
Heh. Sorry about that.

Don't be, I got an A :smile:

FAQ: How did I miss this easy derivative question on my calc 2 exam?

1. Why did I miss this easy derivative question on my calc 2 exam?

There could be several reasons for missing an easy derivative question on your calc 2 exam. It could be due to lack of practice, not understanding the concept fully, or getting overwhelmed by the time pressure during the exam.

2. How can I improve my performance on derivative questions in calc 2?

The best way to improve your performance on derivative questions in calc 2 is to practice regularly. Make sure you understand the concepts and try solving different types of derivative problems. Also, manage your time effectively during the exam.

3. Is it common to miss easy derivative questions on calc 2 exams?

Yes, it is common to miss easy derivative questions on calc 2 exams. Many students struggle with derivatives because they require a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and a lot of practice.

4. Can I still do well in the class if I missed an easy derivative question on my calc 2 exam?

Yes, missing one easy derivative question does not mean you will fail the class. It is important to learn from your mistakes and continue to work hard and improve your understanding of derivatives.

5. What resources can I use to improve my understanding of derivatives for calc 2?

You can use various resources to improve your understanding of derivatives for calc 2, such as your textbook, online tutorials, practice problems, and seeking help from your professor or a tutor. You can also join a study group with your classmates to discuss and solve derivative problems together.