Genaral PDE for scalar and vectors

In summary: I hope this clarifies how a PDE of 2nd order can be written for a vector. If you have further questions or need more explanation, please feel free to ask. In summary, a PDE of 2nd order for a vector involves applying the hessian and gradient operators separately to each component of the vector.
Jhenrique
I realized that a PDE of 2nd order can written like: [tex]A:Hf+\vec{b}\cdot\vec{\nabla}f+cf=0[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12}\\ a_{21} & a_{22}\\ \end{bmatrix}:\begin{bmatrix} \partial_{xx} & \partial_{xy}\\ \partial_{yx} & \partial_{yy}\\ \end{bmatrix}f+\begin{bmatrix} b_1\\ b_2\\ \end{bmatrix}\cdot\begin{bmatrix} \partial_x\\ \partial_y\\ \end{bmatrix}f+cf=0[/tex]
But and if f is a vector, how would be a general PDE of 2nd order for a vector?

EDIT: Let me be more clear with my ask:

An ODE of 2nd order for a vector is: [tex]A\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2} + B\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} + C\vec{r}=0[/tex] and a PDE is: [tex]a \frac{\partial^2 \vec{\rho}}{\partial u^2} + 2b \frac{\partial^2 \vec{\rho}}{\partial u \partial v} + c\frac{\partial^2 \vec{\rho}}{\partial v^2} + d\frac{\partial \vec{\rho}}{\partial u} + e\frac{\partial \vec{\rho}}{\partial v} + f\vec{\rho}=0[/tex] But how write this PDE in the correct way? Because if I replace the scalar ##f## (in the 1st equation above) by vector position ##\vec{\rho}##, I'll have a direct product between the hessian ##H## and ##\vec{\rho}##, and another between ##\vec{\nabla}## and ##\vec{\rho}##, thing that I never saw.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. You are correct in your understanding that a PDE of 2nd order for a vector can be written in the form:

\begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12}\\ a_{21} & a_{22}\\ \end{bmatrix}:\begin{bmatrix} \partial_{xx} & \partial_{xy}\\ \partial_{yx} & \partial_{yy}\\ \end{bmatrix}\vec{\rho}+\begin{bmatrix} b_1\\ b_2\\ \end{bmatrix}\cdot\begin{bmatrix} \partial_x\\ \partial_y\\ \end{bmatrix}\vec{\rho}+c\vec{\rho}=0

However, it is important to note that the second-order derivatives in the hessian matrix and the first-order derivatives in the gradient must be applied to each component of the vector separately. In other words, the hessian and gradient operators are not applied to the entire vector at once, but rather to each component individually.

To make this more clear, let's consider an example. Let's say we have a vector function \vec{\rho}(x,y) = (x^2,y^2). The hessian matrix for this vector function would be:

\begin{bmatrix} \partial_{xx} & \partial_{xy}\\ \partial_{yx} & \partial_{yy}\\ \end{bmatrix}\vec{\rho} = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 0\\ 0 & 2\\ \end{bmatrix}

Similarly, the gradient of this vector function would be:

\begin{bmatrix} \partial_x\\ \partial_y\\ \end{bmatrix}\vec{\rho} = \begin{bmatrix} 2x\\ 2y\\ \end{bmatrix}

So, if we were to apply this PDE to our vector function, it would look like:

\begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12}\\ a_{21} & a_{22}\\ \end{bmatrix}:\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 0\\ 0 & 2\\ \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x^2\\ y^2\\ \end{bmatrix}+\begin{bmatrix} b_1\\ b_2\\ \end{bmatrix}\cdot

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. These equations are used to describe physical processes and phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between a scalar PDE and a vector PDE?

A scalar PDE involves a scalar function, meaning that the unknown quantity in the equation is a single value. In contrast, a vector PDE involves a vector function, where the unknown quantity is a vector with multiple components. Vector PDEs are often used to describe physical systems with multiple variables, such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields.

3. How are general PDEs solved?

There is no one universal method for solving general PDEs. The approach used depends on the specific PDE and its boundary conditions. Some common techniques include separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical methods such as finite differences or finite elements.

4. What are some applications of scalar and vector PDEs?

PDEs have many applications in science and engineering. Scalar PDEs are commonly used in heat transfer, diffusion, and wave propagation problems. Vector PDEs are used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and elasticity, among others.

5. How do PDEs relate to other types of differential equations?

PDEs are a generalization of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that involve only derivatives with respect to a single variable. In contrast, PDEs involve derivatives with respect to multiple variables. ODEs are often used to describe systems that vary in one dimension, while PDEs are used for systems that vary in multiple dimensions.