Gender Poll on People of PF: Who Are You?

• Thread starter tim_lou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, the conversation discusses the results of a poll asking about the gender of people who visit a certain website. The conversation also delves into the topic of physicists and their relationships, with some suggesting not to date fellow physicists and to instead date biologists. Others share their experiences and opinions on the matter. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a joke about marrying cousins.

Are you a male or female?

• Male

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Female

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • hmm... What?

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters
tim_lou
are you a male or female? let's do a poll on the people that visit PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted female although i am a shemale.

Anyways, ...

marlon

You should never give an extra (silly) option in a poll on PF :tongue2:

I voted male. Anyway that's the result of my latest operation. I've been back and forth so many times that I can't remember what I started out as.

PF members: Experts in their respective fields, uncertain about their gender. :rofl: :tongue2:

crap, I clicked male. Can a moderator fix that for me?

Is there a difference? :confused:

Just kidding. I'm male. Or I was, last time I checked.

I'm a straight male.

Can you please elaborate on the options ?

You didn't include my category, so I voted 'male'.

sausage party

mattmns said:
You should never give an extra (silly) option in a poll on PF :tongue2:

yes... I regretted having done that. Can't believe 6 people voted for that option :uhh:.

Smurf said:

just make two new PF accounts and vote for female for each of them. Just kidding. :tongue:

Smurf said:

I voted female so its even now :tongue:

wait, i thought most physicists were women

yeah but women physicists have lives, men are the only ones that spend their lives on the internet

Smacal1072 said:

hmm... What?

are you serious?

Smacal1072 said:

Ha, if only!

Interestingly, some fellow grad students and I discussed this yesterday at the bar. Apparently we could count on two hands the number of female grad students in the physics department. We also more or less concured that we probably wouldn't want to date non-physicists. If that's how most physics people are, I'm quite surprised any of them get married at all.

Maybe we should consult the biologists and figure out how they've managed to get so many women.

arunma said:
Maybe we should consult the biologists and figure out how they've managed to get so many women.
You are out of your mind.
1) Do not date a physicist if you already are one. Only troubles can get out of that. Nobody will ever visit you or come for dinner at your house. Your kids will be insane. You will constantly argue about things nobody (accept you two) cares about.
2) Do not consult biologists. Date them. They are the best (since... they know biology !)

humanino said:
You are out of your mind.
1) Do not date a physicist if you already are one. Only troubles can get out of that. Nobody will ever visit you or come for dinner at your house. Your kids will be insane. You will constantly argue about things nobody (accept you two) cares about.
2) Do not consult biologists. Date them. They are the best (since... they know biology !)

Humanino, I do appreciate your suggestions. But I have to admit, number 1 seems like a good motivation for dating a physicist. I assume that when you say no one will ever visit me, you mean to say that only physicists will. And seeing as how I like physics, it seems like this might actually be a good thing. As for arguing about things that nobody else cares about, it seems like the physicist's version of flirting.

But as for dating biologists, that doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

Yep, physicists and engineers dating biologists works very well. :biggrin:

Biology gets more women because it's a much cooler field to study. :tongue:

hmm, interesting, seems like there are more "hmm... What?" than females...:uhh:

I would first like to state that I am not a physicist. However, I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to share an outsiders opinion. My cousin is an astrophysicist and he married a wonderful woman who is a musician. They of course met online playing a text based RPG game but the relationship is as wonderful as any marital relationship can be. I think the mixture of fact-based and creative could be beneficial to both parties. The two children they have together will more than likely turn out just as crazy as if it were two physicists having children, but that will just make them more interesting when they grow up. You know after they get beat up all through high school. As a musician myself I am always seeking mates who are overly intelligent, have a few crazy points, but are probably more responsible and slightly less flighty than I can be. Of course I may be biased because I have a physicist in my family and he happens to be one of my best friends.
Oh yes and for the record I am female.

Erzsabet4 said:
I would first like to state that I am not a physicist. However, I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to share an outsiders opinion. My cousin is an astrophysicist and he married a wonderful woman who is a musician. They of course met online playing a text based RPG game but the relationship is as wonderful as any marital relationship can be. I think the mixture of fact-based and creative could be beneficial to both parties. The two children they have together will more than likely turn out just as crazy as if it were two physicists having children, but that will just make them more interesting when they grow up. You know after they get beat up all through high school. As a musician myself I am always seeking mates who are overly intelligent, have a few crazy points, but are probably more responsible and slightly less flighty than I can be. Of course I may be biased because I have a physicist in my family and he happens to be one of my best friends.

And the answer is:

You married your cousin.

(That was a brain teaser, right?)

Cute. While I do reside in one of the Virginia's I did not marry my cousin. I am still single currently. Though I do appreciate your humor. I got a nice chuckle out of it.

. . . . I am always seeking mates . . .
Hmmm - just wondering. :uhh: Of course, one could be using the Australian term for friends. :biggrin:

Let me see if I can stop the confusion. I am 26, live in Virginia, I am single and have no children. My cousin is married to a girl from Europe, lives in Europe, and they have 2 beautiful children. One of whom does happen to be God child but NOT my actual child. I meant mates in the american form a.k.a. boyfriend, husband, sexual partner etc...
So seeing as I am not, and not planning on, following in the footsteps of Charles Darwin or Marcus Aurelius maybe we can move on from the "I married my cousin" humor.

Erzsabet4 said:

If that's so, I think you found a very nice little corner of the innerwebs...you're going to like it here :approve:. Welcome to PF, Erzsabet4!

lisab said:
If that's so, I think you found a very nice little corner of the innerwebs...you're going to like it here :approve:. Welcome to PF, Erzsabet4!

Thank You, I can already see that belonging to this forum will be interesting.

*notices poll results; kind of get's depressed*

Just focus on the quality, not the quantity. :)

It should only be depressing if you are only looking to date other physicists, I would think.

Erzsabet4 said:
It should only be depressing if you are only looking to date other physicists, I would think.
Most of the women here are not physicists.

Ah and interesting

Evo said:
Most of the women here are not physicists.

Most of the men aren't either.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the gender poll on People of PF?</h2><p>The purpose of the gender poll is to gather data and insights on the gender distribution of the community on People of PF. This information can be used to better understand the demographics of the community and potentially identify any gender-based trends or patterns.</p><h2>2. How is the gender poll conducted and how accurate is it?</h2><p>The gender poll is conducted through a voluntary survey that allows individuals to select their gender from a list of options. The accuracy of the poll depends on the honesty and accuracy of the responses from the participants. However, the poll is not meant to be a scientific study and should be viewed as a general representation of the community's gender distribution.</p><h2>3. Why are there only two options for gender in the poll?</h2><p>The gender poll on People of PF only includes two options, male and female, to align with the traditional binary gender categories. While we recognize that gender is a spectrum and there may be individuals who do not identify with either of these options, the poll is limited to these categories for simplicity and ease of data analysis.</p><h2>4. Can I change my response after submitting it?</h2><p>Unfortunately, once you have submitted your response to the gender poll, it cannot be changed. We encourage participants to carefully consider their response before submitting it.</p><h2>5. How will the results of the gender poll be used?</h2><p>The results of the gender poll will be used to gain a better understanding of the community on People of PF and to potentially identify any gender-based trends or patterns. The data may also be used to inform future discussions and initiatives related to gender within the community.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the gender poll on People of PF?

The purpose of the gender poll is to gather data and insights on the gender distribution of the community on People of PF. This information can be used to better understand the demographics of the community and potentially identify any gender-based trends or patterns.

2. How is the gender poll conducted and how accurate is it?

The gender poll is conducted through a voluntary survey that allows individuals to select their gender from a list of options. The accuracy of the poll depends on the honesty and accuracy of the responses from the participants. However, the poll is not meant to be a scientific study and should be viewed as a general representation of the community's gender distribution.

3. Why are there only two options for gender in the poll?

The gender poll on People of PF only includes two options, male and female, to align with the traditional binary gender categories. While we recognize that gender is a spectrum and there may be individuals who do not identify with either of these options, the poll is limited to these categories for simplicity and ease of data analysis.

4. Can I change my response after submitting it?

Unfortunately, once you have submitted your response to the gender poll, it cannot be changed. We encourage participants to carefully consider their response before submitting it.

5. How will the results of the gender poll be used?

The results of the gender poll will be used to gain a better understanding of the community on People of PF and to potentially identify any gender-based trends or patterns. The data may also be used to inform future discussions and initiatives related to gender within the community.