General natural boundary condition?

In summary, the natural boundary condition for a PDE can be expressed as (1) and (2), but apparently, according to the third resource, it should be expressed as (3). This is confusing because (4) and (5) are not the same. If I use finite element analysis, I can just take the normal vector perpendicular to the edge of the element which is definitely a no-brainer as it's a straight line. However, if I begin using finite differences, I need to find some sort of angle equation in order to calculate nx and ny.
maistral
TL;DR Summary
A little clarification with regard to the natural boundary condition.
Hi, I'd like to be clarified regarding the general natural/Neumann boundary condition for a PDE.

1. The natural boundary condition is generally defined as:
(1)
and can be expressed as, according to this resource:
(2)

But apparently, according to https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_to_impose_natural_boundary_conditions_with_Generalized_Finite_Difference_Method_or_meshfree_collocation_method resource (posted by Dr. Fan):
(3)

Which is which? Is it supposed to be positive, or negative? When should it be positive or negative?

2. If I apply the derivative boundary condition, on say, the bottom of a square plate, I can state:
(4)
or for simplicity,
(5)

Obviously, comparing it with (2), ny is equal to 0. Why is this so? Why is ny = 0?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The minus sign is an obvious typo.
2. ##\vec n## is the normal vector. The normal vector's y-component on a coordinate surface of ##y## is zero.

Likes maistral
Hi! Thanks for replying. Thank you very much, it did clarify a lot of things. I still have two remaining problems, however.

1. Where is the vector n exactly pointed to? Is it going towards the region, or is it going away from the region?

2. I am assuming that the complete form of the Neumann condition is used for irregular boundaries (ie. curved ones, so on and forth). As stated by the first resource, nx = cos θ, and ny = sin θ.

If I use finite element analysis, I can just take the normal vector perpendicular to the edge of the element which is definitely a no-brainer as it's a straight line.

My problem begins to appear if I begin using finite differences. How do I exactly implement this kind of boundary condition on nodes? I'm confused - nodes are, well, nodes; just a point. I'm under the impression that I can get the angle required for calculating nx and ny by taking the tangent of the irregular boundary curve at the node, then I draw the perpendicular line needed to calculate the angle. Is this even correct?

1. What is a general natural boundary condition?

A general natural boundary condition is a mathematical concept used in the field of physics and engineering to describe the behavior of a system at its boundaries. It takes into account the natural forces or phenomena that act on the system at its boundaries, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, or electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is a general natural boundary condition different from a Dirichlet boundary condition?

A Dirichlet boundary condition specifies the value of a system at its boundaries, while a general natural boundary condition describes the behavior of the system at its boundaries based on the natural forces acting on it. In other words, a Dirichlet boundary condition is a prescribed boundary condition, while a general natural boundary condition is a derived boundary condition.

3. What types of systems use general natural boundary conditions?

General natural boundary conditions are used in a variety of systems, including heat transfer systems, fluid flow systems, and electromagnetic systems. They are also commonly used in numerical simulations and mathematical models to describe the behavior of physical systems.

4. How are general natural boundary conditions applied in practice?

In practice, general natural boundary conditions are applied by incorporating them into mathematical models or numerical simulations of a system. This can involve using equations or algorithms to describe the natural forces acting on the system at its boundaries, and then using these to solve for the behavior of the system as a whole.

5. What are some challenges in applying general natural boundary conditions?

One of the main challenges in applying general natural boundary conditions is accurately modeling and quantifying the natural forces acting on a system at its boundaries. This can require a deep understanding of the physical processes involved and may involve simplifying assumptions or approximations. Additionally, the complexity of the system and the accuracy of the results can also be affected by the choice of boundary conditions used.