General Question about curved motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of speed and when it increases for an object. The homework equations mentioned include the dot product, acceleration perpendicular, and acceleration parallel. The individual has already solved for when the object's speed is constant using the dot product, but is now trying to determine when it is increasing. They have found the solutions for when the speed is constant, and are now trying to find when it is increasing by setting the result of the dot product equal to zero.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

When if ever is the speed of the object increasing?

Homework Equations

Dot product result, cos(theta) acceleration perpendicular, acceleration parralel

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the problems first three parts and found when the objects speed is constant using the dot product, now i am trying to figure out how to find if it is increasing. Is it when a(parrelel)*cos(theta) = 0? i have my result from the dot product as 2t^3+6t^2-8t. i set it equal to 0 to find when speed is constant and got t=-4,t=1,t=0. Now i need to find speed increasing and am not sure exactly

Physics news on Phys.org
I FIGURED IT OUT!!

1. What is curved motion?

Curved motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a curved path instead of a straight line. This can occur in both two-dimensional and three-dimensional spaces.

2. What causes curved motion?

The most common cause of curved motion is the presence of a force acting on an object. This force can be gravity, friction, or any other type of force that is not acting in the same direction as the object's initial velocity.

3. How is curved motion different from straight-line motion?

The main difference between curved motion and straight-line motion is the direction of the object's velocity. In straight-line motion, the velocity remains constant, while in curved motion, the velocity is constantly changing, causing the object to follow a curved path.

4. Can an object have both curved and straight-line motion?

Yes, an object can have both curved and straight-line motion. This is known as a combination of motions and can occur when multiple forces are acting on an object, causing it to move in different directions.

5. How is curved motion related to circular motion?

Curved motion and circular motion are closely related, as circular motion is a specific type of curved motion in which an object moves along a circular path with a constant speed. However, curved motion can also refer to any type of motion along a non-linear path, while circular motion is specifically a circular path.