General question about torque of sphere

In summary, the discussion is about the speed of two spheres, one big and one small, rolling down a ramp from the same point. The question is which sphere will have a bigger speed at the end of the ramp. The approach of using torque is discussed, but the concept of energy is suggested as a clearer way to understand the problem. The expression for moment of inertia is also mentioned, noting that it depends on whether the sphere is solid or hollow.
dannee

Homework Statement

if i have 2 spheres, one big sphere and one small (R>r),
both are rolling from the same point down the way.

at the end of the way, which sphere would have bigger speed?

i thought the smaller sphere would have, since,
angular acceleration = (f * r ) / I = f / (0.4MR)
now if R>r shouldn't the acceleration be smaller as well?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around that Torque approach. It seems to me the torque would depend on the angle of the ramp in a complicated way. Still, the higher the moment of inertia, the smaller the acceleration.

It seems much clearer to me from an energy point of view. You might try beginning with
Energy at top of ramp = energy at bottom of ramp
putting in ½mv² + ½Iω² for the bottom where it has both translational and rotational kinetic energy. There is, of course, a relationship between v and ω so you can simplify to one speed variable.
I think you are missing a ² in your expression for moment of inertia. Note also that it depends on whether the sphere is solid or hollow.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force that is applied to an object.

How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What is the formula for torque?

The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What is the unit of torque?

The unit of torque is Newton-meter (Nm) in the SI system or pound-foot (lb-ft) in the imperial system.

How does the torque of a sphere differ from other objects?

The torque of a sphere depends on its radius, mass, and the force applied, whereas for other objects it may also depend on their shape and distribution of mass. Additionally, the torque of a sphere can only be applied in one direction, perpendicular to the plane of rotation.