General questions about electromagnetism.

In summary: I2 ~ r3 means that you need to increase current by a factor of 8 if you increase the radius by a factor of 4 (as 82 = 43).
V0ODO0CH1LD
I was wondering about some basic concepts of electromagnetism.

Firstly, resistance is kind of like the measure of obstruction in a conducting material; right? So maybe the atomic properties of the conducting material are such that the current of electrons gets obstructed and ends up colliding with stuff in the way and as a result it generates all sorts of forms of energy. Is that right?

Something else I was wondering is how does the dimensions of a conducting wire relate to how much heat it can dissipate. Before it starts melting, of course. I tried searching for it but I didn't have any luck. I found an article on joule heating which talks about the amount of heat generated by a certain current going through a conductor with a certain resistivity (P = RI2). I don't even know if what I understood from the article is correct.

Anyway, if I double the external area of a piece of conducting wire. Will it be able to dissipate twice the amount of heat?

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Firstly, resistance is kind of like the measure of obstruction in a conducting material; right? So maybe the atomic properties of the conducting material are such that the current of electrons gets obstructed and ends up colliding with stuff in the way and as a result it generates all sorts of forms of energy. Is that right?
Right.

Something else I was wondering is how does the dimensions of a conducting wire relate to how much heat it can dissipate. Before it starts melting, of course.
Usually, heat is dissipated via the surface of a resistor, and it depends on the surface (is it in air? maybe even air flow? Water-cooled? ...).

I found an article on joule heating which talks about the amount of heat generated by a certain current going through a conductor with a certain resistivity (P = RI2).
That is the power which heats the resistor.

Anyway, if I double the external area of a piece of conducting wire. Will it be able to dissipate twice the amount of heat?
Maybe. Depends on the environment.

mfb said:
Maybe. Depends on the environment.

A conducting wire will melt when the heat generated by the current is bigger than the heat that can be dissipated by the surface of the wire, right? At least it makes sense..

My question is if something like a 1A current is the least necessary so that a wire of a certain material will start to melt when it goes through it. What would be the least amount of current necessary to melt a wire of twice the surface area? Twice the current?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
What would be the least amount of current necessary to melt a wire of twice the surface area? Twice the current?
You'd want twice the power per unit length, but if it has twice the surface then presumably it has 4 times the cross section, so 4 times the conductance. P = I2R ~ I2/r2; As ~ r; so P~As implies I2~r3.

haruspex said:
You'd want twice the power per unit length, but if it has twice the surface then presumably it has 4 times the cross section, so 4 times the conductance. P = I2R ~ I2/r2; As ~ r; so P~As implies I2~r3.

So if I make the wire twice as long I could have twice the amount of power going through it. But what is "r" in your post? Are you saying that I2R is proportional to I2/r2? And that the surface area is proportional to r? How do you get that I2 is proportional to r3? And is r the radius of the wire?

If you want to use a certain current to melt a wire, use a thin wire. Its resistance will help to generate more heat, and it has a smaller surface at the same time.

r is the radius of the wire.
I2 ~ r3 means that you need to increase current by a factor of 8 if you increase the radius by a factor of 4 (as 82 = 43).

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electric and magnetic fields interact with each other and how they can be used to create forces and motion.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field. This is done by wrapping a wire around a magnetic core, such as iron, and passing an electric current through the wire. The current creates a magnetic field, making the core magnetic. This magnetic field can be turned on and off by controlling the current, making electromagnets very useful in many applications.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has many practical applications, including electric motors, generators, transformers, MRI machines, and many more. It is also used in everyday devices such as speakers, doorbells, and credit cards.

4. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related, but they are different phenomena. Electricity is the flow of electrons, while magnetism is the result of moving electric charges. In other words, electricity produces magnetism, and magnetism can produce electricity.

5. How did scientists discover the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The relationship between electricity and magnetism was discovered in the early 1800s by scientists such as Hans Christian Ørsted, André-Marie Ampère, and Michael Faraday. Through their experiments, they found that electric currents can produce magnetic fields and that changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This led to the development of the theory of electromagnetism, which is now a fundamental part of modern physics.