1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Questions about Eletric Field and Eletric Potential

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi! I have already write everything on the pictures(In attachment), I have already circled the correct answer, however, I am not sure explain it correctly. So, can you check my explanation or question?
    Thanks!

7QZOQ.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Question Two: The electric field is uniform (constant). Why do you think it isn't? See http://www.studyphysics.ca/30/fields.pdf" [Broken] to check your understanding of electric field lines.

Question Five: Yes. Since you are interested in the outward flux and the enclosed charge is positive, the flux through the surface is indeed, positive.

Question Six: You have the right idea, but I wouldn't use the word enclosed since the Gaussian surface doesn't enclose the negative charge. There is an additional [negative] contribution of flux through the left end cap due to the presence of the negative charge.

Question Seven: Are you sure that the electric potential is lower at A than B?

Question Eight: Again, are you sure that the electric potential is lower at A than B?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook