General Questions about Eletric Field and Eletric Potential

In summary, the conversation is about the person asking for their explanation or questions to be checked regarding their understanding of electric fields and their related concepts. They also inquire about the electric potential at different points.
CH1991

Hi! I have already write everything on the pictures(In attachment), I have already circled the correct answer, however, I am not sure explain it correctly. So, can you check my explanation or question?
Thanks!

7QZOQ.png

Attachments

• Physics.jpg
    Physics.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Question Two: The electric field is uniform (constant). Why do you think it isn't? See http://www.studyphysics.ca/30/fields.pdf" to check your understanding of electric field lines.

Question Five: Yes. Since you are interested in the outward flux and the enclosed charge is positive, the flux through the surface is indeed, positive.

Question Six: You have the right idea, but I wouldn't use the word enclosed since the Gaussian surface doesn't enclose the negative charge. There is an additional [negative] contribution of flux through the left end cap due to the presence of the negative charge.

Question Seven: Are you sure that the electric potential is lower at A than B?

Question Eight: Again, are you sure that the electric potential is lower at A than B?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It exerts a force on other charged particles or objects within its vicinity.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of a charged particle or object. This charged particle or object creates a force that pushes or pulls other charged particles or objects within its surroundings.

3. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field refers to the physical field that surrounds a charged particle or object, while electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. In simpler terms, electric field measures the force acting on a charged particle, while electric potential measures the potential energy of that charged particle at a certain point.

4. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This means that the electric potential energy of a charged particle is lower at a certain point compared to its reference point. This can occur when the charged particle moves from a higher potential energy to a lower potential energy.

5. How do electric field and electric potential relate to each other?

Electric field and electric potential are related through the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This equation shows that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential.