General relativity and jet travel makes you fat?

In summary: So, in summary, the flight attendant will experience time slowing down while flying at a high speed and will not gain any additional weight due to this effect.
pletharoe
Hi everyone!
I'm a pilot on a private jet, in conversation one of the crew mentioned that "You get younger when flying." Now I had to correct him saying that actually it's just that time slows down as you go faster. Unfortunately for the flight attendant, going faster also means that she puts on weight! So here's a conundrum for you guys:

At 500 knots (257 m/s) how much slower does time pass (relative to when we're stationary and how much more does my 50kg flight attendant weigh?

Yes, I know it's a ridiculous question, but I'm intrigued. Thanks for any answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that your interested in effects due to special relativity. The appropriate factor is

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}},[/tex]

where c is the speed of light. In this case, it is

1.000 000 000 000 37

There is a altitude effect due to general relativity.

Last edited:
From your frame of reference in the plane, you and your flight attendant have no increase in mass. When you slow down and land neither of you will have any more mass or wieght than you did when you first started.

I suppose you could relate the time dilation factor to the number of calories the flight attendant consumes/burns per year...

Hi Guys, thanks for the answers.
George:
I used your equation, if "V" is in meters per second, I get a square root of a minus number so I used a bit of poetic license to deduce that the "V" should be a factor relative to the speed of light (257 m/s / 299792458 m/s) is that right?
If so, the outcome of the equation is 1.00000000000037. Which sounds like a reasonable number (a very small factor). So am I right that the flight attendant is 1.00000000000037 times lighter relative to stationary people?
Do you have a similar equation for time? Since the process of ageing is only relative to her frame of reference, when she lands, she will have experienced slower ageing than the "stationary" world.

russ_watters said:
I suppose you could relate the time dilation factor to the number of calories the flight attendant consumes/burns per year...

Now that's clever ;)

Drakkith said:
From your frame of reference in the plane, you and your flight attendant have no increase in mass. When you slow down and land neither of you will have any more mass or wieght than you did when you first started.
How does that happen.Lets say you had an identical twin who was left behind.You both weighed the same at take off and you both wore the same type of watch set to the same time for demonstration purposes.
You on the plane ages less and your watch ticks at a slower rate.
When you land you and your watch have expended less energy than your identical twin on the ground you won't have any more mass than when you first started but you will have more mass than your twin.

Buckleymanor said:
How does that happen.Lets say you had an identical twin who was left behind.You both weighed the same at take off and you both wore the same type of watch set to the same time for demonstration purposes.
You on the plane ages less and your watch ticks at a slower rate.
When you land you and your watch have expended less energy than your identical twin on the ground you won't have any more mass than when you first started but you will have more mass than your twin.

You are correct. However there is no additional mass added to yourself after you stop and land. The only difference in mass would be because of time effects, not velocity.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that describes the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It explains that the force of gravity is the result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does general relativity relate to jet travel?

In the theory of general relativity, time appears to slow down when an object is moving at high speeds. Since jet travel involves traveling at high speeds, the effects of general relativity come into play and can cause a discrepancy in time measurements between a moving object and a stationary observer on Earth.

3. Can general relativity cause weight gain during jet travel?

No, general relativity does not directly cause weight gain during jet travel. The theory explains that time dilation can occur, but this does not have a significant effect on a person's metabolism or weight.

4. Why do people believe that jet travel can make you fat?

There is a common misconception that time dilation from general relativity can cause weight gain during jet travel. This is often attributed to a misunderstanding of the theory and its effects on time and space.

5. Is there any scientific evidence supporting the idea that jet travel can make you fat?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that jet travel can make you fat. While general relativity can cause time dilation, this does not have a significant impact on a person's weight or metabolism. Factors such as diet and exercise are much more significant contributors to weight gain than the effects of general relativity during jet travel.