1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution(s) to Logistic model with harvesting?

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys! I am trying to show the limiting population for this model:

2. Relevant equations
    P'(t) = P(S - P) + H

The harvesting, is actually immigration, so its a positive unknown. I have shown this before (without harvesting) by solving for P(t) using separation of variables. Then taking the limit t -> infinity. However i can't work this out, without an actual value for H. Problem is there isn't one!

3. The attempt at a solution

So far i attempted to change the formula to use separation and method of partial fractions:

P'(t) = [ (S + sqrt{S^2 + 4H} - 2P)/2 ] [ (2P- S - sqrt{S^2 + 4H} )/2 ]

then (2AP - AS - Asqrt{S^2 + 4H} + BS + Bsqrt{S^2 + 4H} - 2BP)/2

is the numerator in my attempt at a partial fraction. Here's about as far is i get. Assuming S^2 + 4H is positive i can't seem to group to find a partial fraction. All i can obviously see is P(A - B) = 0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2
    I managed to solve it, after a few more hours :)

I just subbed in variables for the equilibria, rather than leave them in square root form. Taking the limit of t -> infinity showed population approaching the equilibrium value which made

P''(equilibrium_value) < 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook