First order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an initial value problem involving a partial differential equation using Laplace transforms. The individual asking the question attempts to solve it using the transforms, but the expert suggests using the method of characteristics instead. The expert explains the process and suggests working with a transformed function to make the calculations easier. The expert also mentions that the boundary conditions may need to be treated separately.
2sin54

Homework Statement

Solve the following IVP:

##\frac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial t} + v(x,t) = g(x,t)##

Homework Equations

The initial values: v(0,t) = a(t) and v(x,0) = b(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied the Laplace transform x -> s to get:

##sV(s,t) - a(t) + \frac{\partial V(s,t)}{\partial t} + V(s,t) = G(s,t)##, here V is the laplace transform of v, and G the L.t. of g.Applying the Laplace transform t -> p I arrive at:

##sV_{2}(s,p) - A(p) + pV_{2}(s,p) - b(s) + V_{2}(s,p)=G_{2}(s,p)##,

here V2(s,p) is the Laplace transform of V(s,t), A(p) is the transform of a(t)...

After some term grouping:

##V_{2}(s,p) (s+p+1) = G_{2}(s,p)+A(p)+b(s)##

##V_{2}(s,p)= \frac{G_{2}(s,p)+A(p)+b(s)}{s+p+1}##

I can write this as three separate fractions:

##V_{2}(s,p)= \frac{G_{2}(s,p)}{s+p+1} + \frac{A(p)}{s+p+1} + \frac{b(s)}{s+p+1}##

I can find the inverse laplace transform twice of the third term rather easily, but if I use the convolution theorem for the first two I end up with integrals inside of integrals. Any suggestions? Or maybe there's a cleaner way to solve this inhomogeneous PDE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright so I managed to get this problem down to this new one which I do not know how to deal with:

Say I have a function which was Laplace transformed twice:

##v(x,t) -> V_{1}(s,t)##
and
##V_{1}(s,t) -> V_{2}(s,p)##

AND I end up with this double transform equal to something like this:

##V_{2}(s,p) = \frac{G_{2}(s,p)}{s+p+1}## where ##G_{2}(s,p)## is the Laplace transform applied twice to the arbitrary function ##g(x,t)##

Question is, how do I get the original ##v(x,t)##?
Had there been only one Laplace transform on ##v## and ##g## I could express the general solution using a simple convolution integral but what to do now?

Gytax said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following IVP:

##\frac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial t} + v(x,t) = g(x,t)##

The initial values: v(0,t) = a(t) and v(x,0) = b(x)

You do not want to use Laplace Transforms here. You want to use the method of characteristics. It may be easier to work with [itex]u(x,t) = e^tv(x,t)[/itex] instead of [itex]v[/itex], so that [tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = e^tg(x,t).[/tex] This tells you rate of change of [itex]u[/itex] in the direction (1,1) in the (x,t) plane. If you start at a point [itex](x_0,t_0)[/itex] on the boundary, where [itex]u(x_0,t_0)[/itex] is known, and head along the line [itex](x,t) = (s + x_0, s + t_0)[/itex] then [tex]
\frac{du}{ds} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = e^{s + t_0}g(s + x_0,s + t_0)[/tex]
and hence you can find [itex]u(s + x_0, s + t_0)[/itex].

To find [itex]u(x,t)[/itex] you work your way back to the boundary in the direction (-1,-1) to find [itex](x_0,t_0)[/itex] and then head back to [itex](x,t)[/itex] as above. Given the form of the boundary, you will have to treat the cases [itex]x > t[/itex] and [itex]x < t[/itex] separately. The case [itex]x = t[/itex] will cause a problem if [itex]a(0) \neq b(0)[/itex].

1. What is a first order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function?

A first order, linear PDE (partial differential equation) with unknown inhomogeneity function is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function with multiple independent variables and its first partial derivatives. The inhomogeneity function is a term that represents any external influences or sources affecting the function, which is unknown and needs to be determined as part of the solution.

2. How is a first order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function solved?

To solve a first order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function, the method of characteristics is commonly used. This method involves transforming the PDE into a system of ordinary differential equations, which can then be solved using advanced mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

3. What are the real-life applications of first order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function?

First order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function have numerous real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, they can be used to model heat transfer in materials, fluid dynamics, and population growth in biology.

4. Can a first order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order, linear PDE with unknown inhomogeneity function can have multiple solutions, depending on the initial conditions and boundary conditions of the problem. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions or no solution at all.

5. How does the presence of an unknown inhomogeneity function affect the solution of a first order, linear PDE?

The presence of an unknown inhomogeneity function in a first order, linear PDE can make the problem more challenging to solve as it adds an extra level of complexity. The solution process may require additional assumptions or techniques to determine the inhomogeneity function, which may not always be possible depending on the specific problem.