1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum General textbook within the area of physics

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone!

I wanted to put a quick post up on the forum! I'm a final year undergraduate chemistry student, and my dissertation topic involves using molecular quantum dynamics to simulate charge-transfer at a solar cell heterojunction. My knowledge of quantum mechanics is acceptable, but I'm looking for a good general textbook within the area of physics.
    Quantum mechanics is something I hope to work with for my Ph.D, but I have a general interest in physics and would like a textbook for an undergraduate student. I assume to fully understand quantum theory, I need to understand classical physics to a fairly high level? My mathematical ability isn't quite 'physicist' level yet, but I'm fairly well versed in Calculus I,II and my Linear Algebra is getting better.

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2
    Your post is a little confusing. Is this textbook for you or your friend? Do you want to learn quantum mechanics or classical physics?

4. Feb 22, 2017 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you studied any physics already as part of your chemistry degree, and if so, using which textbook? In the US, chemistry bachelors degrees normally include at least first-year introductory physics at the level of e.g. Halliday/Resnick/Walker Fundamentals of Physics. Also, physical chemistry includes includes some quantum mechanics IIRC. I don't know what it's like in other countries.

5. Feb 22, 2017 #4
    The physics covered in my chemistry degree isn't particularly high level. In first year, simple quantum mechanics was introduced; Particle in a box etc. In second year we discussed the time-independent Schrödinger equation and the variation method. Third year we covered partition functions (stat therm) and very little quantum mechanics. All quantum mechanical content I've learnt has come through Atkins Physical Chemistry, Atkins Molecular Quantum Mechanics and an old book called Quantum Chemistry by Denaro. I would like to improve my GENERAL physics. I'm also still unsure to what the best texts are for QM though!

6. Feb 22, 2017 #5
    I have just re-read my post and understand the confusion. I am wanting an undergraduate textbook for MYSELF, because the physics taught in my chemistry degree isn't at a high enough level. I'm hopefully starting my Ph.D in theoretical chemistry next year and would like to prepare in every way possible.

7. Feb 24, 2017 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted