Generalised uncertainty Principle Can't get rid of the i?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
smileandbehappy
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



17189278427_2b9874b733_b.jpg


The Attempt at a Solution



As you can see where I have got up to... However I am stuck... In the solution there is no i. In mine there will be. I am unsure how you make the complex number drop out at this stage. I think I'm missing a mathematical trick here...

The solution should be: greater than or equal to (5h(bar)^2)/2. Clearly I am going to have an erroneous complex number in here...

Thanks

Sam
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The notation ##|\cdots|## refers to the complex modulus, so you automatically have ##|i|=1##.
 
fzero said:
The notation ##|\cdots|## refers to the complex modulus, so you automatically have ##|i|=1##.

That's a bit embaressing... It is nearly 4am so let me off that one! Was reading it as the normal modulus making everything positive!

thanks - though, I was sititng scratching my head for half an hour at that.