Generalised uncertainty Principle Can't get rid of the i?

In summary, the conversation is about a complex number problem where the solution requires using the complex modulus. The person is stuck because they were misreading the notation and thought it referred to the normal modulus, causing confusion. They were able to solve the problem with the correct understanding.
smileandbehappy

Homework Statement

17189278427_2b9874b733_b.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see where I have got up to... However I am stuck... In the solution there is no i. In mine there will be. I am unsure how you make the complex number drop out at this stage. I think I'm missing a mathematical trick here...

The solution should be: greater than or equal to (5h(bar)^2)/2. Clearly I am going to have an erroneous complex number in here...

Thanks

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation ##|\cdots|## refers to the complex modulus, so you automatically have ##|i|=1##.

fzero said:
The notation ##|\cdots|## refers to the complex modulus, so you automatically have ##|i|=1##.

That's a bit embaressing... It is nearly 4am so let me off that one! Was reading it as the normal modulus making everything positive!

thanks - though, I was sititng scratching my head for half an hour at that.

What is the Generalised Uncertainty Principle?

The Generalised Uncertainty Principle (GUP) is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the precise position and momentum of a particle. This principle is a generalization of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

What is the difference between the Generalised Uncertainty Principle and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Generalised Uncertainty Principle takes into account the effects of gravity, while the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle only applies to particles at the quantum level. Additionally, the GUP suggests that there is a minimum measurable length and a maximum measurable momentum, whereas the HUP does not have these limitations.

Why is there an "i" in the Generalised Uncertainty Principle?

The "i" in the GUP is a mathematical symbol for the imaginary unit, which is used to represent complex numbers. This is because the GUP involves complex numbers in its mathematical formulation.

Can the "i" be eliminated from the Generalised Uncertainty Principle?

No, the "i" cannot be eliminated from the GUP as it is an integral part of the mathematical formulation of the principle. Attempting to eliminate the "i" would result in a different equation that does not accurately represent the GUP.

Why is the Generalised Uncertainty Principle important?

The GUP has important implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and black hole physics.