1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalized uncertainty principle

1. Aug 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spin-half particle is in a known eigenstate of Sz. Show that the product [tex] <S^2_x> < S^2_y> [/tex] is consistent with the Uncertainty principle

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the generalized uncertainty principle gives [tex] ΔS_x ΔS_y ≥ |<[S_x, S_y]>|

=> ΔS_x ΔS_y ≥ \frac{h^2}{16π^2} [/tex]
    but I'm stuck as to how to proceed to show the product in question is consistent with this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, DeltaFunction.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking how to evaluate the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ##, or are you asking how the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ## is related to ##ΔS_x ΔS_y##?

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3
    I'm a bit vague on this too. The problem simply states "Show that the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ## is consistent with the uncertainty principle"

I assumed I'd need to link that to ##ΔS_x ΔS_y## to demonstrate this, but I'm stumped by this

5. Aug 31, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How is ##ΔS_x## defined in terms of ##<S^2_x>## and ##<S_x>^2##?

6. Sep 1, 2013 #5
    I don't know I'm afraid :/

7. Sep 1, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to know what quantitative definition of "uncertainty" you are using. Generally, the uncertainty of an observable ##A## for a particular state is defined to be the standard deviation $$\Delta A=(\langle A^2\rangle-\langle A\rangle^2)^{1/2}$$
    So to determine the uncertainty ##\Delta S_x## for a state of definite z-component of spin, you will need to evaluate ##(\langle S_x^2\rangle-\langle S_x\rangle^2)^{1/2}## for that state.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted