1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalized vectors. Eigenvalues/Eigenvectors.

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]A \in M_{22} (\mathbb{R})[/itex] with one single eigenvalue λ and one single eigenvector v. We denote w the generalized vector such that [itex](A - λI)w = v[/itex]. Prove that v and w are linearly independent.

2. Relevant equations

I know that if A has only one eigenvalue λ and one eigenvector v that the equation Av = λv is satisfied. That is, (A - λI)v = 0.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought about this a bit, but I'm having trouble getting this one going. I thought about letting B = (A - λI) so that we get two equations :

Bv = 0 and Bw = v

Then I thought that it could be broken down into two cases, one where λ = 0 and one where λ ≠ 0, but I'm not sure this is the right path to take.

Any pointers?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the definition of linearly independent?

4. Nov 19, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

There are several equivalent things, but if [itex]v_1, ..., v_n[/itex] is a set of vectors, then [itex]v_1, ..., v_n[/itex] are L.I if the equation :

[itex]c_1v_1, ..., c_nv_n = 0[/itex]

has only a trivial solution. That is all the scalars are zero.

5. Nov 19, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the one. So if c1*v+c2*w=0 you want to show c1 and c2 are 0. Start by applying B to that equation. What do you conclude from that?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. Nov 19, 2012 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Okay so we want to show : [itex]c_1v + c_2w = 0[/itex] has only the trivial solution.

We know that if we multiply both sides by B = (A-λI) we get :

[itex]B(c_1v + c_2w) = 0[/itex]
    [itex]c_1Bv + c_2Bw = 0[/itex]

We know that Bv = 0 because v is an eigenvector for the matrix A.

[itex]c_2Bw = 0[/itex]

We also know that Bw = v since w is our generalized vector.

[itex]c_2v = 0[/itex]

Now, since eigenvectors are non-zero, it must be the case that c2 = 0.

7. Nov 19, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Now put c2=0 into your original equation. What do you conclude about c1?

8. Nov 19, 2012 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Now subbing c2 back into our original equation yields :

[itex]c_1v = 0[/itex]

Once again, since v is an eigenvector, it is non-zero. Which tells us that c1 must be zero.

Thus, c1 = c2 = 0 which implies that v and w are linearly independent.

EDIT : Q.E.D

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. Nov 20, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's true for any A such that [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue with eigenvector v. The fact that A has only that eigenvalue and one independent eigenvector, tells you that there exist a vector u such that [itex]A- \lambda I)u\ne 0[/itex] but that [itex](A- \lambda I)^2u= 0[/itex].

(It is never true that a linear operator has "one single eigenvector" because any multiple of an eigenvector is an eigenvector.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook