Abstract Linear Algebra: Eigenvalues & Eigenvectors

In summary, A linear transformation T:V→V on a finite dimensional vector space V over ℂ has at least one eigenvalue λ and an associated eigenvector v, which is a non-zero vector in V such that Tv = λv. This is true because the zeros of the polynomial q(λ) = det (λI - T) in ℂ are the eigenvalues of T, which is guaranteed by the fundamental theorem of algebra. In the case of a vector space over ℂ, every polynomial has at least one root, ensuring the existence of at least one eigenvalue for T. However, this is not necessarily true in ℝ, as the root of the characteristic polynomial may be complex.
teme92

Homework Statement

Let V be a finite dimensional vector space over ℂ . Show that any linear transformation T:V→V has at least one eigenvalue λ and an associated eigenvector v.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey everyone I've been doing sample questions in the build up to an exam and I came across this. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm struggling a bit.

Here is what I know:
  • λ is an eigenvalue if there exists a non-zero vector v∈V such that Tv = λv.
  • I also read this for complex: q(λ) = det (λI - T), where the zeros of q(λ) in ℂ are the eigenvalues of T.

What does the second point mean or how would I answer this properly. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:
q(λ) = det (λI - T), where the zeros of q(λ) in ℂ are the eigenvalues of T.
That's also true for a vector space over R, every eigenvalue of A is a root of det (λI - A) = 0. (Can you see why?) But in R there might not be any real roots. Of course, you need to show the converse: that a root of the equation is necessarily an eigenvalue.

In the complex plane, you are always guaranteed that there will be at least one eigenvalue for your transformation. This is assured by the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial has at least one root in ##\mathbb{C}##.

This is not true in ##\mathbb{R}## though, because the root of the characteristic polynomial might turn out to be complex.

Think about the matrix:

[0, -1
1, 0]

in the real numbers.

1. What is Abstract Linear Algebra?

Abstract Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear transformations. It is a generalization of classical linear algebra, which involves the study of systems of linear equations and matrices.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are concepts in linear algebra that are used to analyze linear transformations. Eigenvalues represent the scalar values that are associated with a linear transformation, while eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that are stretched or compressed by the transformation.

3. Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they provide valuable insights into the behavior of linear transformations. They can be used to determine the stability of a system, solve differential equations, and perform data analysis in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are calculated by solving the characteristic equation of a linear transformation, which is obtained by setting the determinant of the transformation's matrix equal to zero. This process involves finding the roots of a polynomial equation, which can be done using various methods such as the quadratic formula or matrix diagonalization.

5. What are some real-world applications of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have numerous applications in fields such as image processing, signal analysis, quantum mechanics, and population genetics. They are also used in machine learning and data compression algorithms, as well as in the study of dynamic systems and vibrations.