1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Linear Algebra: Eigenvalues & Eigenvectors

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a finite dimensional vector space over ℂ . Show that any linear transformation T:V→V has at least one eigenvalue λ and an associated eigenvector v.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hey everyone I've been doing sample questions in the build up to an exam and I came across this. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm struggling a bit.

Here is what I know:
    • λ is an eigenvalue if there exists a non-zero vector v∈V such that Tv = λv.
    • I also read this for complex: q(λ) = det (λI - T), where the zeros of q(λ) in ℂ are the eigenvalues of T.

What does the second point mean or how would I answer this properly. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's also true for a vector space over R, every eigenvalue of A is a root of det (λI - A) = 0. (Can you see why?) But in R there might not be any real roots. Of course, you need to show the converse: that a root of the equation is necessarily an eigenvalue.

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

In the complex plane, you are always guaranteed that there will be at least one eigenvalue for your transformation. This is assured by the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial has at least one root in ##\mathbb{C}##.

This is not true in ##\mathbb{R}## though, because the root of the characteristic polynomial might turn out to be complex.

Think about the matrix:

[0, -1
    1, 0]

in the real numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted