Generating as much suction with as little weight as possible

In summary, the conversation is about designing a device for collecting insects from the canopy of soybean plants using a UAS (quad copter/drone). The main issue is generating enough suction without exceeding the weight limit of 10 lbs. Suggestions are made to add rotating/vibrating brushes to increase acquisition yield and use the air movement of the quad-copter to generate suction. Other ideas include using CO2 bursts or a device hanging down on a rope. The purpose is for the acquisition of specimens, not removal. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use the air movement of the quad-copter and the question of whether the specimens need to be alive.
KPJ
Hello all, as my final project to attain my bachelors, I have tasked myself with designing some sort of device to collect insects from the canopy of soybean plants that can be suspended under a UAS (quad copter/drone). What I am trying to do is essentially build some sort suction device. The problem I am running into is generating enough suction while not exceeding the weight limit I have been given. The weight requirement is 10 lbs. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suction only is not power-efficient or weight-efficient. Add the rotating/vibrating brush to shake the insects off.

trurle said:
Suction only is not power-efficient or weight-efficient. Add the rotating/vibrating brush to shake the insects off.
The issue with that is, the insects need to be collected by the UAS as well. The purpose is for the acquisition of specimens, not removal.

KPJ said:
The issue with that is, the insects need to be collected by the UAS as well. The purpose is for the acquisition of specimens, not removal.
You misunderstood. Most of insects react to wind/suction by clinging to leaves or branches, and brushing them before sucking helps to increase acquisition yield. You can have 2 cylindrical, counter-rotating brushes flinging specimens to the suction space between brushes.

KPJ said:
can be suspended under a UAS (quad copter/drone).
Then that 10lbs should include the power source too I guess. Makes it quite a challenge if you want to do it yourself.

KPJ said:
The purpose is for the acquisition of specimens, not removal.
So it is actually sample collection?

trurle said:
Most of insects react to wind/suction by clinging to leaves or branches
And since it is a quad copter, there will be wind anyway. Maybe a device hanging down on a rope? That could also work as a brush.

I would check the portable/cordless vacuum cleaners first... But maybe that's a bit of a cheating o0)

trurle said:
You misunderstood. Most of insects react to wind/suction by clinging to leaves or branches, and brushing them before sucking helps to increase acquisition yield. You can have 2 cylindrical, counter-rotating brushes flinging specimens to the suction space between brushes.

I understand what you're saying now, however, weight is still a concern, what do you think the odds are of having the brushes physically throw the specimens into a collection container to save as much weight as possible. I feel like adding rotating brushes and a suction element is going to throw me way over my weight requirement. I guess the thing to do is test the concept. thank you very much for the reply, you've inspired another design!

Rive said:
Then that 10lbs should include the power source too I guess. Makes it quite a challenge if you want to do it yourself.

Perhaps the quad copter could be the power source; it’s already designed to move as much air as possible as rapidly as possible, all in one direction. Unfortunately, it is the wrong direction for our purposes, but ifa way could be found to divert air from above the rotors, that could be used for suction, somehow.

Not a fully formed concept, obviously, but perhaps a start.

Likes rbelli1
Come to think of it, if you employ Trurle’s “brush” method, you might not even need a separate source of vacuum. If the brushes are mounted on two counter-rotating barrels like the impellers of a vacuum cleaner, the updraft created at the middle should be enough to move the specimens upward and into the containment vessel. Obviously, you would want something much gentler than a vacuum cleaner; longer, more flexible brushes rotating at much lower speed. Otherwise, you’ll be building a harvesting drone.

BTW; do the specimens need to be alive?

Now that it’s been some time since the last response, how is the project thus far

How about carrying a small CO2 cylinder and sending bursts of gas to knock insects off branches? I'm thinking of the cylinders used to blow up bike tyres that only weigh a few ounces or perhaps a bit larger.

I agree with LURCH, the most efficient way will be to use the air movement of the quad-copter to generate the suction, though this may have a negative effect on the lift generated, as the air will be pulled up as well as pushed downwards. Which direction are the bugs being collected from - in front of, above or below the 'copter?

1. How does suction work?

Suction is created when a pressure difference is created between two areas. This pressure difference causes a force that pulls objects towards the lower pressure area, creating suction.

2. How can I generate more suction with less weight?

To generate more suction with less weight, you can increase the surface area of the object creating the suction. This will distribute the weight over a larger area, making it lighter and easier to move.

3. What materials are best for creating suction with minimal weight?

Materials that are lightweight and have a high surface area, such as foam or mesh, are ideal for creating suction with minimal weight. These materials also have the added benefit of being flexible, allowing for a larger surface area to be created.

4. Can suction be created without using any weight at all?

Yes, suction can be created without using any weight by using a vacuum or air pump. These devices create a pressure difference, which in turn creates suction without the need for any weight.

5. Are there any limitations to generating suction with minimal weight?

There are some limitations to generating suction with minimal weight. The surface area of the object creating the suction must be large enough to create a significant pressure difference, and the weight of the object must also be enough to keep it in place while creating suction.