Genetic Data Tools Reveal How Pop Music Evolved

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date

Summary:

The history of pop music is rich in details, anecdotes, folk lore. And controversy. There is no shortage of debate over questions about the origin and influence of particular bands and musical styles.

But despite the keen interest in the evolution of pop music, there is little to back up most claims in the form of hard analytical evidence.

Main Question or Discussion Point

An interesting article from the Physics Archive Blog:

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

pinball1970
Gold Member
Summary:: The history of pop music is rich in details, anecdotes, folk lore. And controversy. There is no shortage of debate over questions about the origin and influence of particular bands and musical styles.

But despite the keen interest in the evolution of pop music, there is little to back up most claims in the form of hard analytical evidence.

An interesting article from the Physics Archive Blog:

Was there an attachment? Link?

Odd when I copied the link:

Code:
https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/genetic-data-tools-reveal-how-pop-music-evolved-in-the-us-48ad60bf495b

it dropped the .html when I embedded it in my post. This caused it to be interpretted as media.

It did this several times until I manually added the .html suffix. I suspect it has something to do with the hex string at the end of the URL and forum software.

Perhaps @Greg Bernhardt has seen this happen before.

Apparently, the link is actually tied to the article title. Try moving your mouse around to see if you can find it.

pinball1970
Gold Member
Apparently, the link is actually tied to the article title. Try moving your mouse around to see if you can find it.
Got it thanks

Here's another instance of the link (without the image) to the medium.com article: https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/genetic-data-tools-reveal-how-pop-music-evolved-in-the-us-48ad60bf495b

Here's a link to the source article: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1502.05417.pdf

If medium.com, or any site, does something that is not to your preference, based upon your to-it site-specific cookie content, you may wish to avail yourself of your ability to purge your cookies on a per-site basis, which you can do conveniently with the following bookmarklet code:
JavaScript:
javascript: (function() {
 C = document.cookie.split("; ");
 for (d = "." + location.host; d; d = ("" + d).substr(1).match(/\..*$/))
  for (sl = 0; sl < 2; ++sl)
   for (p = "/" + location.pathname; p; p = p.substring(0, p.lastIndexOf('/')))
    for (i in C)
     if (c = C[i]) {
      document.cookie = c + "; domain=" + d.slice(sl) + "; path=" + p.slice(1) + "/" + "; expires=" + new Date((new Date).getTime() - 1e11).toGMTString()
     }
})()