Genetics Chromosomal Inversion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of inverting a DNA sequence between nucleotides 4 and 12 to create a double stranded molecule. The suggested method involves rotating the sequence and reinserting it, but the individual is having trouble understanding how to properly rejoin the inverted segment. A question is asked about whether the same strand of DNA will be on top after rotating the DNA 180 degrees.
David23454

Homework Statement

Rewrite following sequence as double stranded molecule, with an inversion of the sequence between nucleotide 4 and 12.

5'-TCTCGCATGGTAGGT-3'

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've read in the textbook that you take the section and rotate it 180 degrees, then reinsert it. However I think that I'm not understanding this properly because when I do this, I get a 5' end that needs to be rejoined with another 5' end, and likewise with the 3' end:

Original: 5'-TCTCGCATGGTAGGT-3'
Taking out sequence which needs to be inverted: 5'-GCATGGT-3'
Invert: 3'-TGGTACG-5'
Inverted sequence:5'-TCTC-3' (3'-TGGTACG-5') 5'-AGGT-3' ...so I don't see how I can rejoin the inverted segment.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, if someone could help me out with this it would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that DNA is double stranded. When you rotate the DNA 180° will the same strand of DNA be on top?

Likes David23454
Thanks!

1. What is a chromosomal inversion?

A chromosomal inversion is a genetic mutation where a segment of DNA is flipped in the opposite direction within a chromosome, resulting in a change in the arrangement of genes.

2. How does chromosomal inversion occur?

Chromosomal inversion can occur spontaneously during cell division or as a result of exposure to certain mutagens, such as radiation or chemicals.

3. What are the potential consequences of a chromosomal inversion?

A chromosomal inversion can disrupt the function of genes by altering their regulation or causing them to be positioned in a different order. This can lead to developmental abnormalities, genetic disorders, or even infertility.

4. Can chromosomal inversions be inherited?

Yes, chromosomal inversions can be inherited from a parent. Depending on the location and size of the inversion, it can either have no effect or result in health issues for the offspring.

5. How are chromosomal inversions detected?

Chromosomal inversions can be detected through various laboratory techniques, such as karyotyping, fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH), or genome sequencing. These methods allow scientists to visualize and analyze the structure of chromosomes to identify any inversions.